cannot open daytime server socket for local host

cannot open daytime server socket for local host

Post by Wlme » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Using Slackware I cannot open the daytime server socket.

For example the command

telnet localhost 13

gives me connection refused, but

telnet localhost

will open a connection.

Post by bill davids » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

| Using Slackware I cannot open the daytime server socket.
|
| For example the command
|
| telnet localhost 13
|
| gives me connection refused, but
|
| telnet localhost
|
| will open a connection.

Look in /etc/inetd.conf. It should look like this:
/etc/inetd.conf:daytime stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
/etc/inetd.conf:daytime dgram   udp     wait    root    internal

and does on older Slackware releases. Recent releases commented that out
to prevent DOS attacks. Just remove the # in /etc/inetd.conf (as root),
then do
        kill -1 $(cat /var/run/inetd.pid)
and try again. You only need the kill once, to avoid having to reboot.

--

  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like
the fountain of immaturity.

1. localhost portscan detects 2 randomly opened and closed ports - other hosts cannot see these open

This is strange.  I have a server (SuSE 7.1) which runs only SSHD and
BIND.  When scanned from a remote node it comes up as 22 and 53 only.
So initially everything seems kosher...
However when scanned from itself, it always detects open ports that
are immediately closed and revolved to other open ports.  These ports
are too small to be anything involved with SSH.  So for example ports
3184 and 1196 might be open on one scan, and then 4208 2220 on the
next run of scans.  The strange thing is they only remain open for a
few milliseconds.  I cannot telnet into them.  Not only that, but a
check of netstat or lsof reveals nothing.  Any ideas?  I've included a
couple scans below for reference...  Thanks to anyone with ideas about
this.

-Jason

******************************SNIP******************************
Suse 7.1 linuxserver:~ # netcat -z -v localhost 1-10000
localhost [127.0.0.1] 4208 (?) open
localhost [127.0.0.1] 2220 (ganymede) open
localhost [127.0.0.1] 53 (domain) open
localhost [127.0.0.1] 22 (ssh) open
Suse 7.1 linuxserver:~ # netcat -z -v localhost 1-10000
localhost [127.0.0.1] 3245 (?) open
localhost [127.0.0.1] 1257 (?) open
localhost [127.0.0.1] 53 (domain) open
localhost [127.0.0.1] 22 (ssh) open
******************************SNIP******************************

* remove ".nospam" to email me directly.

2. ------Is it just me or is linux faster?

3. Netscape cannot open local .html files.

4. Problem booting from cdrom

5. Cannot PING to any local hosts

6. OO CASE tool Survey

7. * httpd: cannot determine local host name. *

8. non suid holes

9. Problem: Apache: cannot determine local host name

10. "Cannot determine local host name, Use servername to set it manually" - Apache W95

11. cannot add route to local host through loopback

12. SMB services cannot determine local host name

13. lpr cannot find local host - Slakware 3.3, kernel 2.0.030