/etc/passwd

Post by Richard Stanafor » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Heya.  The easiest thing to tell you is  'man chmod'.  Read that
manual page.  It will allow you to restrict access to the directory, the
file or both.

        - Richard.

> Is there any way that I can keep my telnet and ftp users from gaining
> access into my /etc directory and reading my passwd file?

/etc/passwd

Post by Ulf Jaenicke-Roessle » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

> Heya.  The easiest thing to tell you is  'man chmod'.  Read that
> manual page.  It will allow you to restrict access to the directory, the
> file or both.

Don't do that. Many programs need to read configuration files in /etc.
I just want to mention, that login shells require their basic initialisation
files to be stored in that directory. Furthermore, a lot of programs
need access to the login names in /etc/passwd.
If you want to restrict access to the encrypted passwords in /etc/passwd
you need to install the shadow system. There should be a HOWTO about it.

  Ulf

/etc/passwd

Post by Santosh Krishnan x281 » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

If you were to prevent others from being able to read your password file,
only root will be able to log in.   Instead, install shadow passwords.
That way, the passwords will not be readable by anyone except root, while
the password file will be readable.  You need other non-root programs to
be able to access the password file to authenticate users, etc.

Best of luck.
Santosh Krishnan

> Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 19:43:54 -0400

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.help
> Subject: /etc/passwd

> Is there any way that I can keep my telnet and ftp users from gaining
> access into my /etc directory and reading my passwd file?

* LINUX System Admin    | Phone: (817)272-2815  *
* Center for High Energy Physics and Technology *
* The University of Texas at Arlington          *
* Arlington, Texas 76019                        *
* Fax: (817)272-2824                            *