need help to connect isdn+linux to ascend max 1800

need help to connect isdn+linux to ascend max 1800

Post by er.. » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

trying to connect to isp via Bitsurfer pro (rom j), have chap file setup as properly
as i know, almost latest kernel (2.0.20), 2.2.0f pppd, Redhat 3.03

example of my chap-secrets file
  name * secret   ip-num
  theirname * their secret their ip-num

/etc/ppp/options just enough to dial and other housekeeping stuff (nothing fancy)

gets connected (via chat),
negotiates magic num, sets other LCP options,
does chap negotiation, gets by that
gets server ip number
does vj + other compression stuff
finally after all this their ascend tells my modem to hangup, and it does,
I'm stumped, my isp is stumped

did i forget a ritual, prayer or some other chant in order to get it to work?

does my isp need to do something to their ascend 1800 max, (they are only used
to using routers connecting to them, and in fact I am the first to try to connect
using a modem)

any info, tips or tricks appreciated

Post by Matt Holdre » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>trying to connect to isp via Bitsurfer pro (rom j), have chap file setup as properly
>as i know, almost latest kernel (2.0.20), 2.2.0f pppd, Redhat 3.03

>example of my chap-secrets file
>  name * secret   ip-num
>  theirname * their secret their ip-num

>/etc/ppp/options just enough to dial and other housekeeping stuff (nothing fancy)

>gets connected (via chat),
>negotiates magic num, sets other LCP options,
>does chap negotiation, gets by that
>gets server ip number
>does vj + other compression stuff
>finally after all this their ascend tells my modem to hangup, and it does,
>I'm stumped, my isp is stumped

>did i forget a ritual, prayer or some other chant in order to get it to work?

>does my isp need to do something to their ascend 1800 max, (they are only used
>to using routers connecting to them, and in fact I am the first to try to connect
>using a modem)

>any info, tips or tricks appreciated

Check the PPPIF debug on the Ascend. Make sure that IPNCP opens (it will say
opening, then open or closed) and also make sure that CCP isn't causing your
problem. Are you requesting any CCP?

Post by David While » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> trying to connect to isp via Bitsurfer pro (rom j), have chap file setup as properly
> as i know, almost latest kernel (2.0.20), 2.2.0f pppd, Redhat 3.03

> example of my chap-secrets file
>   name * secret   ip-num
>   theirname * their secret their ip-num

> /etc/ppp/options just enough to dial and other housekeeping stuff (nothing fancy)

> gets connected (via chat),
> negotiates magic num, sets other LCP options,
> does chap negotiation, gets by that
> gets server ip number
> does vj + other compression stuff
> finally after all this their ascend tells my modem to hangup, and it does,
> I'm stumped, my isp is stumped

> did i forget a ritual, prayer or some other chant in order to get it to work?

> does my isp need to do something to their ascend 1800 max, (they are only used
> to using routers connecting to them, and in fact I am the first to try to connect
> using a modem)

> any info, tips or tricks appreciated

I experienced two weeks of a frustratingly similar problem with
Bitsurfer pro
connecting to ascend 1800 max.  Turns out it was a very simple "extra"
command
that my ISP was expecting that I wasn't sending.  To finally figure it
out
I simply used minicom to dial the ISP so I could see what was going on.
It was immediately obvious as to how to correct my script.  Since all
ISP's
probably set up accounts a little differently, this might be worth
trying.