RH - setting IP addresses on second ethernet card

RH - setting IP addresses on second ethernet card

Post by Gregg Germai » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:19:02

Hi all,

 I'm running RH Linux 6.2/ SCYLD Beowulf on a PC using GNOME.  I've
installed a second ethernet card. The first is connected to a router,
so th elinux box gets a 198.... address

When booting the system does not know how to assign an IP address to
the second ethernet card, so the second card never comes live.

 Can anyone tell me how to assign an IP address to this second card?

Is there a tool in Gnome to do this?

Is there a file that I need to edit?

thanks

--- Gregg

Post by Timothy Murph » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:44:27

> When booting the system does not know how to assign an IP address to
> the second ethernet card, so the second card never comes live.

>  Can anyone tell me how to assign an IP address to this second card?

I'd guess you have to create/edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
.
Here's my desktop entry:

========================
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
========================

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

RH - setting IP addresses on second ethernet card

Post by Gregg Germai » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:15:36

Hi Tim,

 thanks for the infor and the sample file.

 Can you tell me what "language" this is? What book can I get to
figure out what ought to go into this file, and what CAN go into this
file?

thanks

Gregg

:> When booting the system does not know how to assign an IP address to
:> the second ethernet card, so the second card never comes live.
:>
:>  Can anyone tell me how to assign an IP address to this second card?

: I'd guess you have to create/edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
: .
: Here's my desktop entry:

: ========================
: DEVICE=eth1
: BOOTPROTO=static
: BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
: IPADDR=192.168.1.1
: NETMASK=255.255.255.0
: NETWORK=192.168.1.0
: ONBOOT=yes
: GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
: TYPE=Ethernet
: USERCTL=no
: PEERDNS=no
: ========================

: --
: Timothy Murphy

: tel: +353-86-233 6090
: s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

--

--- Gregg
                                   "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

Post by /dev/rob » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:48:10

>  Can you tell me what "language" this is?

bash, or more specifically, Unix sh.

Quote:> What book can I get to
> figure out what ought to go into this file, and what CAN go into this

Generally those files are autogenerated by the distro's setup routine,
then manipulated by configuration tools. Any decent book on Red Hat can
tell you how to set up your networking.

I'd do it their way if I were you, but be aware of what's going on
behind the scenes (with the files in /etc/sysconfig and /etc/rc.d).
--

  or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

1. Assigning a second IP address to am Ethernet card???

I am setting up a Satellite link which joins into a class 'c' subnet. The
situation is that I have two subnets on the same physical network. I need a
FreeBSD server to serve requests on both subnets.

Does anyone have any experience or advice in how to do this properly?

I have tried a variety of methods with mixed success.

Any help is very much welcomed.

Regards,
Russ Eden.

2. how to connect to printer for the other computer?

3. Two ethernet card use same IP address..

4. Magstar Tape drive and savevg

5. one ethernet card with two ip addresses

6. Passing variables on the command line to a bash script

7. Two IP addresses for the same ethernet card????

8. Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-09-23.

9. Two IP addresses to the same Ethernet card

10. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

11. setting ip addresses for multiple ethernet cards

12. Two ethernet cards have same ethernet address

13. how to set up Internet gateway/how to set up two ethernet cards on Linux