3com 3c509 just won't get set up!

Post by Wade Lindse » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 05:41:24

Hi -

After a bunch of other trouble getting DSL to my Linux boot, I've decided
that the problem must be that my card isn't properly set up in the kernel.
I have a 3c509 that works just fine under windows, but when I try to set it
up using netconf, it won't work!  Must I download or configure the driver
and recompile?  If anyone out there can explain (slowly if possible, *very
new* to this) I would really appreciate it !  Thanks

Wade

3com 3c509 just won't get set up!

Post by Peter » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 06:45:34

Hi.  I've had the exact same problem.  Are you using RHL 7.0?  I'm going to
try RHL 7.1 tonight to see if things work better there (at least linuconf
works in that one :<).

I had to pub a line in modules.conf that's something like
alias etho 3c509

I guess there's a way to restart the NIC, but I just restarted the PC itself
and I was able to ping around.  Try that out and see how it goes.

Quote:> Hi -

Post by Karl Heye » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:48:34

> Hi -

> After a bunch of other trouble getting DSL to my Linux boot, I've decided
> that the problem must be that my card isn't properly set up in the kernel. I
> have a 3c509 that works just fine under windows, but when I try to set it up
> using netconf, it won't work!  Must I download or configure the driver and
> recompile?  If anyone out there can explain (slowly if possible, *very new*
> to this) I would really appreciate it !  Thanks

look at the output of the dmesg command, do you see any error messgaes,
especially relating to the 3c509 driver.  If the there are a couple of lines
indicating the resources like IRQ etc then the problem isn't the driver.
Then you need to check the IP side of things be checking the output of

ifconfig
route -n

It maybe due to the fact that PnP BIOS is enabled in the BIOS.

karl.

3com 3c509 just won't get set up!

Post by Paul Schmi » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:07:28

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:41:24 -0400, "Wade Lindsey"

>Hi -

>After a bunch of other trouble getting DSL to my Linux boot, I've decided
>that the problem must be that my card isn't properly set up in the kernel.
>I have a 3c509 that works just fine under windows, but when I try to set it
>up using netconf, it won't work!  Must I download or configure the driver
>and recompile?  If anyone out there can explain (slowly if possible, *very
>new* to this) I would really appreciate it !  Thanks

I think that RH doesn't like this card, I have one in my Linux server,
and it took me a while to figure out why RH 6.1 didn't seem to want to
connect to the internal network at boot time.  It has trouble
initializing the card.

I finally did the following:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up

and then it was quite happy to start up and use the card to reach the
network.  So I added the two ifconfig lines to the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local and it hasn't given a problem since.    It's not
elegant but the machine is old, and I can't be bothered getting a
different card for it.

Paul

3com 3c509 just won't get set up!

Post by Dean Thompso » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:47:22

Hi Wade,

Quote:> After a bunch of other trouble getting DSL to my Linux boot, I've decided
> that the problem must be that my card isn't properly set up in the kernel.
> I have a 3c509 that works just fine under windows, but when I try to set it
> up using netconf, it won't work!  Must I download or configure the driver
> and recompile?  If anyone out there can explain (slowly if possible, *very
> new* to this) I would really appreciate it !  Thanks

You might want to take a look at Don Beckers site located at
http://www.scyld.com/network.  This provides a series of drivers which should
solve your problem, however make sure that you have the option for a Plug and
Play operating system disabled in your BIOS before you start looking for new
drivers.

Additionally, upgrading to a newer kernel within your kernel family may also
solve the problem.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by Jan-Eric Lind » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:01:58

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:41:24 -0400, "Wade Lindsey"

>Hi -

>After a bunch of other trouble getting DSL to my Linux boot, I've decided
>that the problem must be that my card isn't properly set up in the kernel.
>I have a 3c509 that works just fine under windows, but when I try to set it
>up using netconf, it won't work!  Must I download or configure the driver
>and recompile?  If anyone out there can explain (slowly if possible, *very
>new* to this) I would really appreciate it !  Thanks

>Wade

I think this is an ISA card?!

Download the DOS utility from 3coms site:

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/ and, very important,
disable pnp.

I think youll also have to type something in conf.modules.

Youll also find some answers here:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-4.html

Regards

//Janne

3com 3c509 just won't get set up!

Post by bentley42 » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:14:22

Did you manually configure the ISA configuration in the right files?
I believe the 509 is an ISA card if I'm not mistaken, and I think ISA
has to be explicitly configured.

I know this isn't too much help, but maybe enough to get an idea going
to help you.

Hope this helps.

Mike

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:41:24 -0400, "Wade Lindsey"

>Hi -

>After a bunch of other trouble getting DSL to my Linux boot, I've decided
>that the problem must be that my card isn't properly set up in the kernel.
>I have a 3c509 that works just fine under windows, but when I try to set it
>up using netconf, it won't work!  Must I download or configure the driver
>and recompile?  If anyone out there can explain (slowly if possible, *very
>new* to this) I would really appreciate it !  Thanks

>Wade

3com 3c509 just won't get set up!

Post by Martin Gregor » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 02:05:57

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 05:14:22 -0700, bentley423

>Did you manually configure the ISA configuration in the right files?
>I believe the 509 is an ISA card if I'm not mistaken, and I think ISA
>has to be explicitly configured.

Yes. You need to use a configuration tool to:

- set the IRQ (the default is probably OK)
- set the card address (the default is probably OK)
- if its the 3C509B model, select BNC or RJ45 connector
- disable plug n' play

I booted to DOS and used the 3COM utility that comes with it. If you
go this way, remeber the Hard Reset the PC when the NIC has been
configured. This locks the settings into it.

--

com       | +44 020 76379111