EQL between 1 28.8 Modem and 1 128K ISDN Modem

EQL between 1 28.8 Modem and 1 128K ISDN Modem

Post by Ethan J. Somm » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
 My school (Germantown Friends School, gfs.pvt.k12.pa.us) is trying to
increase our bandwidth to the net. I was wondering if it was possible to
have 1 28.8 modem up 24/7 (on our registered ip) and another ISDN line up
either only when we had enough bandwidth for it to be needed, or during
peek hours.

My questions are:

1.      Is it possible to use EQL to bond a 28.8 modem link and a ISDN
link? I realize that EQL will basicly ignore the 28.8, but the main
reason we want to do this is so we can bring the ISDN line up only when
needed, and not cut off access while we are turning it on. Both ends are
running Linux.  (and both will have EQL in the kernel)

2.      If it is possible to use EQL with a 28.8 modem and an ISDN modem,
is it possible to see if all the possible bandwidth is being used on the
28.8 line, and if it is add the ISDN line?

The reason we want to do something like this is, because we have found a
provider that charges $35/month for ISDN "dial-up" and $630/month for
"dedicated ISDN."  They have stated that "if it is physically possible to
bond a 28.8 line and an ISDN line we will allow you to use a 'ISDN when
needed' setup. (which will save us ~$500)

   Thanks,
    Ethan Sommer
     GFSNet Co-Administrator and Germantown Friends School student.

--
---

Post by bill davids » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

| 1.    Is it possible to use EQL to bond a 28.8 modem link and a ISDN
| link? I realize that EQL will basicly ignore the 28.8, but the main
| reason we want to do this is so we can bring the ISDN line up only when
| needed, and not cut off access while we are turning it on. Both ends are
| running Linux.  (and both will have EQL in the kernel)

By the code and some discussion here, I would say that the *intent*
is that what you propose would work. I'm not sure that in practive
it would, because someone was talking about problems with a 14.4 and
28.8 combo, but that may be "old news" and solved now.

| 2.    If it is possible to use EQL with a 28.8 modem and an ISDN modem,
| is it possible to see if all the possible bandwidth is being used on the
| 28.8 line, and if it is add the ISDN line?

I think the answer is yes, but I don't know of software to do it.
What you want is sort of like diald, and maybe some hacks to that
would work. If you do it, please think about N modems, not just two.

Let us know how you make out.
--

  What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
  At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

1. ISDN or T1 speed with multiplexed 28.8 kbps modems

there is a software called mslip  that would allow one to achieve 57 kbps
speed  by using 2 i486-33mhz Pcs with two 28.8 kbps modems in each PC and
two phone lines connected to each PC.  One of the pcs have to be placed on
ISP's Network and the other at the users  site.
The cost comes out to be a fraction of the cost of having a ISDN or T1 line.
The software is not limited to two modems at each end, and  one could go for
even higher speeds.  I don't know of a linux version of mslip,   but I am
trying to come up with the time  to port it to linux.

The software is availavle at ftp.bsdi.com/contrib/networking/slip.

     .--.  __  .---------     Rahim Azizarab
    / /  \(  )/   ----        1925 S. 3rd Ave
   ////  ' \/ ` ---           Maywood,  IL  60153
  // / / :    :--             708-344-6994
 //      //..\\

                              http://www.tezcat.com/users/ray

2. term binary for sun4 or something, pleeeeze?

3. Modem Blues, SS20 port A and Supra 28.8 modem

4. How do I set up a local printer?

5. modem : USR 28.8 Fax Modem, script fails

6. Segmentation Fault

7. linux-modem initializatio strings with 28.8 v.34 modem

8. PROBLEM: dos filesystem timestamps and daylight savings time

9. ISDN 128K modem

10. USR 128K ISDN modem and RedHat 4.1

11. USR Sportster 128K ISDN Modem with Linux

12. Sporster 128k USR ISDN MOdem

13. ISDN 128K modem