wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

Post by Krzys Majewsk » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:31:26

OK, I finally got wake-on-lan working. I can send a WOL packet from my
gateway to a box  on the local net, and the latter  box will switch on
if  it was powered  off. Here's  the catch.  If the  the box  is *not*
powered off, but only suspended, it  will not resume upon receipt of a
WOL packet. What's up with that?
-chris

wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

Post by Jason from The Worksho » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:46:26

BIOS setting.   You need to go through your APM and make sure that your
computer is set to receive events during suspend.

--

                    Jason
    www.cyborgworkshop.com

wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

Post by Krzys Majewsk » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:04:59

My BIOS  has an option under  Power Management called "Wake  on Ring /
Wake on  LAN". (In the manual,  this appears as  two separate options,
but it's a single option with  this BIOS.) I've enabled this option. I
am able to wake up the computer with keyboard events, so I don't think
all the interrupts are being masked at suspend time.

What next? Should I flash the BIOS? How do I do this under Linux?
-chris

Quote:> BIOS setting.   You need to go through your APM and make sure that your

Post by Krzys Majewsk » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:05:09

My BIOS  has an option under  Power Management called "Wake  on Ring /
Wake on  LAN". (In the manual,  this appears as  two separate options,
but it's a single option with  this BIOS.) I've enabled this option. I
am able to wake up the computer with keyboard events, so I don't think
all the interrupts are being masked at suspend time.

What next? Should I flash the BIOS? How do I do this under Linux?
-chris

Quote:> BIOS setting.   You need to go through your APM and make sure that your
> computer is set to receive events during suspend.

> --

>                     Jason
>     www.cyborgworkshop.com
> ...and the geek shall inherit the earth...

wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

Post by Krzys Majewsk » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:53:24

Actually, let me amend that. The  option is *not* called "Wake on Ring
/ Wake on LAN".  It's called "Wake on LAN /  PCI Modem". There is a
separate option  for "Wake  on External Modem  Ring". The bad  news is
that all  these options are under  a section called "Power  Up". So it
looks      like     this      BIOS     really      doesn't     support
"resume-from-suspend-on-LAN", which is the  feature I want. But from a
hardware perspective, if  I can power up the machine  with a magic WOL
packet, surely I can resume it as  well! So I need a new BIOS. This is
an ASUS P3V133 mobo. Any suggestions?
-chris

> My BIOS  has an option under  Power Management called "Wake  on Ring /
> Wake on  LAN". (In the manual,  this appears as  two separate options,
> but it's a single option with  this BIOS.) I've enabled this option. I
> am able to wake up the computer with keyboard events, so I don't think
> all the interrupts are being masked at suspend time.

> What next? Should I flash the BIOS? How do I do this under Linux?
> -chris

> > BIOS setting.   You need to go through your APM and make sure that your
> > computer is set to receive events during suspend.

> > --

> >                     Jason
> >     www.cyborgworkshop.com
> > ...and the geek shall inherit the earth...

wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

Post by Jason from The Worksho » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:32:33

MR Bios sells replacement BIOS, but I dont know if it would do you any good.
One option would be to just turn off the suspend function and try a sleep
function instead.  Does your BIOS allow for sleep rather then suspend?

--

                    Jason
    www.cyborgworkshop.com
...and the geek shall inherit the earth...

1. 3c905c with Wake-on-lan ?

Re: Does Linux support 3c905C ?

Has anyone gotten the 3com 3c905c-TX with the wake-on-lan feature to work
with linux?  just dont work with redhat 6.2 (2.2.14-5.0) 3c90x or 3c59x

i think it was working with linux 2.2.12 and 3c59x driver...

getting a different net card isnt the best of options... i want to get
Wake-on-Lan to work!

thanks dudz!

al-man

  Hi,

  if its any consolation. My 3c905C works great with Linux Mandrake (auto
detected no
  probs), but Corel Linux will not detect it or apparently work with it. I
have almost given up
  with Corel which seems a shame as I like the feel so far.

A few weeks ago I tried to install RH6.1 on a box with a 3c509c which worked
under Windows.
I could not make it work until I swapped it with another 3c509c which lacked
the wake-on-lan
feature; RH6.1 then worked immediately.

--

http://www2.shore.net/~dannyw

  jurgensen.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Trouble with ethernet-card (Elite 16 -SMC)

3. How to wake-on-lan ?

4. How to encode CD-audio into MP3?

5. Wake-on-LAN

6. HP Jet Direct & Solaris x86

7. WOL Wake-ON-LAN: sending Magic Packets

8. Centralizing the Documentation for AIX 4.3.X, compilers?

9. Looking for Wake-On-LAN 10/100Mbit NIC

10. Wake-on-LAN/PCI Linux support

11. ether-wake / Wake On Lan setup

12. Wake-On-Lan feature

13. Which 10/100Mbit-NIC with Wake-On-LAN for Linux ???