Linux Based Firewall/FTP info needed...

Post by claymor.. » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Where I work we want to set up a Linux based FTP server in house to save
money on our ISP fees. We have a very limited Linux and FTP knowledge
base and any information we can get would be most helpful. A few
questions in closing...

1) I was told that the FTP server had to be set up outside of our
firewall. True?

2) If so I was told that we would then have to set up our own firewall
as our ISP's won't allow for what we've planned. True?

3) Which FTPd program would be the best choice?

4) Will the use of Samba be required for our NT network to access the
server?

Any info or links would be most appreciated. :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Chuck Swige » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> 1) I was told that the FTP server had to be set up outside of our
> firewall. True?

No, but doing so is a really good idea.

Quote:> 2) If so I was told that we would then have to set up our own firewall
> as our ISP's won't allow for what we've planned. True?

Why ask us?  We're not your ISP-- ask them.

Quote:> 3) Which FTPd program would be the best choice?

Try proftpd.

Quote:> 4) Will the use of Samba be required for our NT network to access the
> server?

If you mean "access via the Network Neighborhood", then yes.

Of course, you do not want to let Windows filesharing through your
firewall (it's even more danagerous than letting FTP through).

-Chuck

       ------------------------+-------------------+--------------------
       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....

1. Linux Based Firewall/FTP info needed...

Where I work we want to set up a Linux based FTP server in house to save
money on our ISP fees. We have a very limited Linux and FTP knowledge
base and any information we can get would be most helpful. A few
questions in closing...

1) I was told that the FTP server had to be set up outside of our
firewall. True?

2) If so I was told that we would then have to set up our own firewall
as our ISP's won't allow for what we've planned. True?

3) Which FTPd program would be the best choice?

4) Will the use of Samba be required for our NT network to access the
server?

Any info or links would be most appreciated. :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Modems

3. FTP client inside linux firewall communicating with FTP server inside another linux firewall

4. Problem with ACPI on Abit KT7,HPT370

5. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

6. Slow Telnet & Ftp

7. Linux based Firewall. Need recommendation.

8. Linux Community Survey (FIXED)

9. An application gateway firewall based on Linux - ITShield firewall

10. Need more info about Firewall on Linux solution

11. Need Linux Firewall Client Info, please help

12. Need info on html based kiosk.