Intermittently slow cable modem access

Post by Conway Ye » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Occasionally but happening more frequently lately is that my cable
modem access drops to a crawl.

pings to a local machine which usually takes 10msec can take up to 20
sec.

This does not appear to be a cable modem problem.  Restarting the
network (eth0) temporarily fixes the problem completely.

System:
AMD K6/3D 300MHz 64Meg RAM
D-Link DFE530TX running RHINE driver.
RedHat 6.0

Cable Modem Provider:
Mediaone.

Conway Yee

Post by Bob Tenne » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

 >Occasionally but happening more frequently lately is that my cable
 >modem access drops to a crawl.
 >
 >pings to a local machine which usually takes 10msec can take up to 20
 >sec.
 >
 >This does not appear to be a cable modem problem.  Restarting the
 >network (eth0) temporarily fixes the problem completely.
 >
 >System:
 >AMD K6/3D 300MHz 64Meg RAM
 >D-Link DFE530TX running RHINE driver.
 >RedHat 6.0

and a kernel from rawhide?  If so, that's your problem.  Upgrade
to >= 2.2.12-21.

Bob T.

Intermittently slow cable modem access

Post by Conway Ye » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Occasionally but happening more frequently lately is that my cable
>modem access drops to a crawl.

>pings to a local machine which usually takes 10msec can take up to 20
>sec.

>This does not appear to be a cable modem problem.  Restarting the
>network (eth0) temporarily fixes the problem completely.

>System:
>AMD K6/3D 300MHz 64Meg RAM
>D-Link DFE530TX running RHINE driver.
>RedHat 6.0

>and a kernel from rawhide?  If so, that's your problem.  Upgrade
>to >= 2.2.12-21.

No, I am running 2.2.5 but will try upgrading the kernel.

tnx Conway Yee

Intermittently slow cable modem access

Post by Jonathan Voig » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I had similar problems, but it was because I was running the routed
daemon for no apparent reason...

check to see what daemons are running.. possible it could be this, but
maybe not...

jon

--
Jonathan Voigt

http://jonsbox.dhs.org
http://www.voicomm.com

Intermittently slow cable modem access

Post by CableModemHel » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Is this a stand alone machine or a networked machine? I did see similar
problems if the ipchains settings where messed up...

---
Cable Modem FAQ: http://www.cablemodemhelp.com

Quote:> Occasionally but happening more frequently lately is that my cable

--
----
Cable Modem FAQ: http://www.cablemodemhelp.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. 2.2.12-20 and slow cable modem access

I am running RedHat 6.0 with RedHat's 2.2.5 which MAY not be the
standard 2.2.5 as it appears to support the NEW RAID code.  I made the
mistake of using the new features on my system.

I have since gotten cable modem and have noticed periodic slow modem
access which resolves upon restarting the network connection.  There
is a strong chance that with each restart, the period of time between
problems with cable-modem access decreases.  A complete reboot fixes
the problem.

I am running a AMD K6/3D 300MHz with a D-Link DFE-530TX using the
RHINE driver.

I have been advised that the problem may lie in the kernel and that I
should upgrade the kernel to >= 2.2.12-21.  Unfortunately, RedHat 6.1
distributes patch level 20 which is one short.

When I compile the kernel sources as distributed by Redhat, no
problems are seen.

If I take the generic 2.2.13 (or 2.2.12) sources, I can not access my
RAID 1 partitions.  I have been told that there are RAID patches which
were placed into RedHat 6.0 (and subsequently in 6.1) which do not
appear in the mainstream code.  Looking at ftp.kernel.org, the patches
for 2.2.13 to use the new RAID format do not appear.  In fact, there
hasn't been a new version of the patch in months.

I have attempted to use the patch-2.2.13 to patch my RedHat 6.1
version of 2.2.12-20.  The patch can be installed but the resulting
code doesn't appear to work for me.  While the original code was able
to find my RAID drive, the patched 2.2.13 can not.

Conway Yee

2. Kernel compiling problem with SB16

3. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

4. pf ruleset for blocking p2p apps

5. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

6. Security Holes

7. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

8. Running commands remotly

9. Intermittently SLOW 486 Machines

10. Apache running slow intermittently

11. Cable modem VERY Slow under Linux!!!!

12. SuSE 8.0 very slow download with cable modem

13. extremely slow and strange connection with cable modem and 3c509