pppoe & static ips & sbc business dsl

Post by Melvin To » Wed, 28 May 2003 08:30:49

Hello-

I built a firewall/nat for a non-profit awhile back. Their DSL
connection was just basic SBC/Yahoo DSL. They are now talking about
upgrading to a SBC Business DSL package. I called SBC technical support
to ask if their business packages which comes with 5 static ips still
uses pppoe. The response I got from SBC is that some packages do and
some don't. If a particular package doesn't use pppoe, I'll have no
problems. I'm not sure where to begin if I get 5 static ips and have to
use pppoe. I have no way to test ahead of time. Anyone dealt with this
problem before? I guessing - would you edit /etc/ppp/options, remove
noipdefault and add local xx.xx.xx.xx. yy.yy.yy.yy etc.? Maybe
/etc/ppp/chaps-secret, /etc/ppp/paps-secret and edit the 4th column?

thanks,
Melvin

Post by Mitt » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:39:45

> Hello-

> I built a firewall/nat for a non-profit awhile back. Their DSL
> connection was just basic SBC/Yahoo DSL. They are now talking about
> upgrading to a SBC Business DSL package. I called SBC technical support
> to ask if their business packages which comes with 5 static ips still
> uses pppoe. The response I got from SBC is that some packages do and
> some don't. If a particular package doesn't use pppoe, I'll have no
> problems. I'm not sure where to begin if I get 5 static ips and have to
> use pppoe. I have no way to test ahead of time. Anyone dealt with this
> problem before? I guessing - would you edit /etc/ppp/options, remove
> noipdefault and add local xx.xx.xx.xx. yy.yy.yy.yy etc.? Maybe
> /etc/ppp/chaps-secret, /etc/ppp/paps-secret and edit the 4th column?

> thanks,
> Melvin

Just installed the same thing myself for a client.  If it is the same
setup, you'll have a router which handles the login to SBC.  It performs
the PPPoE connection all by itself and presents you with 5 DHCP
connections, all of which are visible to the Internet.

If you want to duplicate your current setup, you'll have to change your
configuration so that the interface that used to be PPPoE is now simple
DHCP.  PPP0 won't exist as an interface on your Linux box anymore - just
two ETHx interfaces: one connecting to the router and the other to your
LAN.

You can connect to the router and make changes, etc., but you probably
won't have to, once it is set up.  It will handle all of the internet
connection stuff that you had to deal with before.

Good Luck!
Mitty

1. pppoe, static ips & sbc business dsl

Hello-

I built a firewall/nat for a non-profit awhile back. Their DSL
connection was just basic SBC/Yahoo DSL. They are now talking about
upgrading to a SBC Business DSL package. I called SBC technical support
to ask if their business packages which comes with 5 static ips still
uses pppoe. The response I got from SBC is that some packages do and
some don't. If a particular package doesn't use pppoe, I'll have no
problems. I'm not sure where to begin if I get 5 static ips and have to
use pppoe. I have no way to test ahead of time. Anyone dealt with this
problem before? I guessing - would you edit /etc/ppp/options, remove
noipdefault and add local xx.xx.xx.xx. yy.yy.yy.yy etc.? Maybe
/etc/ppp/chaps-secret, /etc/ppp/paps-secret and edit the 4th column?

thanks,
Melvin

2. cron ouput problem ????

4. Help

5. pppd & pppoe & dsl & 2.4.1

6. Scroll back util for UNIX?

7. keyboard jokes!

9. 没有人用中文吗?

10. &&&&&& SUGGESTION ??? &&&&&&&&

11. pppoe, ethernet, westell wirespeed, SBC, DSL, SuSE support

12. PPPoE (sbc/yahoo dsl) working?