Ping Problem

Post by root » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:00:03

Hi again,

I'm still stymied.  I can't get my linux box to ping to a WinNT box, or
vice versa.

I tried some different things today and this is what I found out.

A quick review.
After bootup, I ran "dmesg | grep eth".  That told me that the card had
been set up
with IRQ10, IO = 0xf800 etc, and it also said that I had a 100Mbit link
established
between the two machines.
Then I run ifconfig and it tells me the same things as far as IRQ and
IO.  It also
tells me that eth0 is UP as well as IP address and mask etc.

Here's where things fall apart.
When I ping from NT to Linux: (these transfers time out on the NT box)

After that, when I do an ifconfig, the RX count always stays at zero.
Then, I looked in /proc/interrupts and the interrupt count for my NIC is
also at zero.
My NIC (a Netgear FA312) is using IRQ10 according to ifconfig and
/proc/interrupts.

What would keep the interrupt count from incrementing?   Is it possible
that this
interrupt is masked?
If so, how do I enable it?  A BIOS setting? A linux setting?

Could a module problem prevent the IRQ count from incrementing?

Thanks a lot,
Jon Rook

Ping Problem

Post by timo rat » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:21:23

Quote:>I'm still stymied.  I can't get my linux box to ping to a WinNT box, or
>vice versa.

    both ping themselves? Have you checked cabling, IP addresses,
masks and routes? Do you have firewalling rules blocking the ICMP
traffic? Check if the card really has configuration (/sbin/ifconfig, NT
has ipconfig - I guess).

Quote:>Here's where things fall apart.
>When I ping from NT to Linux: (these transfers time out on the NT box)

    This works: NT to linux ping?

Quote:>After that, when I do an ifconfig, the RX count always stays at zero.
>Then, I looked in /proc/interrupts and the interrupt count for my NIC is
>also at zero.
>My NIC (a Netgear FA312) is using IRQ10 according to ifconfig and
>/proc/interrupts.

>What would keep the interrupt count from incrementing?   Is it possible
>that this
>interrupt is masked?
>If so, how do I enable it?  A BIOS setting? A linux setting?

>Could a module problem prevent the IRQ count from incrementing?

    If the network is not up(?)

    I think this needs more log from your side. Change the ip addresses
if you do not wish to reveal them here.

    timo

Ping Problem

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:40:51

Hi!,

Quote:> Hi again,

> I'm still stymied.  I can't get my linux box to ping to a WinNT box, or
> vice versa.

> I tried some different things today and this is what I found out.

> A quick review.
> After bootup, I ran "dmesg | grep eth".  That told me that the card had
> been set up with IRQ10, IO = 0xf800 etc, and it also said that I had a
> 100Mbit link established between the two machines.

> Then I run ifconfig and it tells me the same things as far as IRQ and
> IO.  It also tells me that eth0 is UP as well as IP address and mask etc.

> Here's where things fall apart.
> When I ping from NT to Linux: (these transfers time out on the NT box)

> After that, when I do an ifconfig, the RX count always stays at zero.
> Then, I looked in /proc/interrupts and the interrupt count for my NIC is
> also at zero. My NIC (a Netgear FA312) is using IRQ10 according to ifconfig
> and /proc/interrupts.

> What would keep the interrupt count from incrementing?   Is it possible
> that this interrupt is masked?
> If so, how do I enable it?  A BIOS setting? A linux setting?

Does the /proc/interrupts suggest that anything else is using the same IRQ as
well ?

How are the two machines linked to one another.  Are they connected directly
to one another using a "cross-over" cable or are they connected through a hub
?

See ya

Dean Thompson

Ping Problem

Post by Jon Roo » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:18:37

Quote:> > Hi again,

> > I'm still stymied.  I can't get my linux box to ping to a WinNT box, or
> > vice versa.

> > I tried some different things today and this is what I found out.

> > A quick review.
> > After bootup, I ran "dmesg | grep eth".  That told me that the card had
> > been set up with IRQ10, IO = 0xf800 etc, and it also said that I had a
> > 100Mbit link established between the two machines.

> > Then I run ifconfig and it tells me the same things as far as IRQ and
> > IO.  It also tells me that eth0 is UP as well as IP address and mask etc.

> > Here's where things fall apart.
> > When I ping from NT to Linux: (these transfers time out on the NT box)

> > After that, when I do an ifconfig, the RX count always stays at zero.
> > Then, I looked in /proc/interrupts and the interrupt count for my NIC is
> > also at zero. My NIC (a Netgear FA312) is using IRQ10 according to ifconfig
> > and /proc/interrupts.

> > What would keep the interrupt count from incrementing?   Is it possible
> > that this interrupt is masked?
> > If so, how do I enable it?  A BIOS setting? A linux setting?

> Does the /proc/interrupts suggest that anything else is using the same IRQ as
> well ?

> How are the two machines linked to one another.  Are they connected directly
> to one another using a "cross-over" cable or are they connected through a hub
> ?

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

Thanks for your reply,

No, /proc/interupts only seems to indicate that eth0 is using that IRQ.

The two machines are linked by a cross-over cable that I have verified
using the same NT box and another machine.

I don't understand why the interrupt count wouldn't increment on
received packets.  I "know" they are received because I can see the
activity LED light up when I ping from the NT box to linux.
Is there a way to mask (or disable) IRQs?  If so, how do I re-enable?

Thanks,
Jon Rook

Ping Problem

Post by Linux Cruise » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:15:52

I responded in yer most recent post.

LC

>> > Hi again,

>> > I'm still stymied.  I can't get my linux box to ping to a WinNT box,
>> > or vice versa.

>> > I tried some different things today and this is what I found out.

>> > A quick review. After bootup, I ran "dmesg | grep eth".  That told me
>> > that the card had been set up with IRQ10, IO = 0xf800 etc, and it
>> > also said that I had a
>> > 100Mbit link established between the two machines.

>> > Then I run ifconfig and it tells me the same things as far as IRQ and
>> > IO.  It also tells me that eth0 is UP as well as IP address and mask
>> > etc.

>> > Here's where things fall apart. When I ping from NT to Linux: (these
>> > transfers time out on the NT box)

>> > After that, when I do an ifconfig, the RX count always stays at zero.
>> > Then, I looked in /proc/interrupts and the interrupt count for my NIC
>> > is also at zero. My NIC (a Netgear FA312) is using IRQ10 according to
>> > ifconfig and /proc/interrupts.

>> > What would keep the interrupt count from incrementing?   Is it
>> > possible that this interrupt is masked? If so, how do I enable it?  A
>> > BIOS setting? A linux setting?

>> Does the /proc/interrupts suggest that anything else is using the same
>> IRQ as well ?

>> How are the two machines linked to one another.  Are they connected
>> directly to one another using a "cross-over" cable or are they
>> connected through a hub
>> ?

>> See ya

>> Dean Thompson

> Thanks for your reply,

> No, /proc/interupts only seems to indicate that eth0 is using that IRQ.

> The two machines are linked by a cross-over cable that I have verified
> using the same NT box and another machine.

> I don't understand why the interrupt count wouldn't increment on
> received packets.  I "know" they are received because I can see the
> activity LED light up when I ping from the NT box to linux.   Is there a
> way to mask (or disable) IRQs?  If so, how do I re-enable?

> Thanks, Jon Rook

1. ping problem - only one ping made although -c option

Hi !

Another strange issue on my linux box...
When i do a "ping", it always transmits only _one_ packet
and then "hangs", I'll have to CTRL-C out to stop it.

It doesn't matter at all if i specify the -c option or not...
Its very likely that i messed up something on my box, because
that problem wasn't there a few weeks ago.

(I had some problems with shared libraries, maybe thats
where to start searching ?)

Example:

Centaur:/var/named # ping localhost -c 50
PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

--> no more packets here....after a few minutes CTRL-C'ing out:

--- localhost ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.431/0.431/0.431 ms

Any suggestion whats going wrong here?

Watz

2. MIME File Question

3. pinging localhost (was: ping problems)

4. http messages with tcpdump

5. PPP ping problem; PPP local address?

6. Setting up Linux as a DNS and WWW server on a LAN with INET connection

7. Ping-problem on INT LAN on multihomed router?

8. X11R61 + Openwin setup?

9. Ping problem

10. Ping Problems

11. Ping Problem