Telnet and rlogin problems

Post by andreas paulsso » Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I have 2 Linux computers connected via ethernet cards. The network does
work properly, I know that since there is no problems when trying to
access the webserver on the other computer.
But, when trying to Telnet the other computer I never get any respons.
The server times out or something. Very annoying. When Telneting a
server on the Internet or whatever I always expect a login prompt and so
I did this time too but it never showed up.
The rlogin does almost the same... which means it give no reply at all.
What is wrong?

Thanks
    / andreas

1. Telnet / Rlogin problem : characters, network hangs

Hello,

when I rlogin or telnet from my linux box to an hpux workstation (HPUX
10.20) I can't get the correct character set on the hpux box. On the
console, characters with accents cannot be displayed. In any Xwindow
editor, the '#' character is transformed to a ", and character with
accents are not correctly displayed. I have tried on another linux box
with SuSE 6.1, and It is the same problem, but with different characters
!!
So, my question is : is this "normal" when you telnet / rlogin to a non
linux machine? and how to overcome this problem?

Another problem : when I telnet / rlogin to any machine (linux or non
linux), is that my network hangs after a period of time. On the other
side, I haven't got any problem
with the network in normal conditions (i.e. without telnet / rlogin to a
distant machine). Any ideas?

Thanks for any answer,

R. Baudin

My linux box :
HP Kayak XU with Linux Redhat 6.0 and Kernel 2.2.12
Ethernet card compatible with an AMD Pcnet32

2. Complete ISP for under $23k or a Web Server ready to go for $5k

3. problems with telnet and rlogin

4. What is the driver for a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP Controller?

5. telnet and rlogins problems

6. kdm permissions

7. telnet & rlogin problem

8. Linux, EIDE and old BIOS - will it work?

9. Problem with telnet, rlogin, rsh

10. My linux refuses 'rlogin' 'telnet' what is the problem??

11. telnet, rlogin, rdate port problem

12. Telnet/rlogin problem on RH6.0

13. BIG Problem. telnet or rlogin begins at ttyp20