Multi-Serial Board [Q]

Post by Pierre Belang » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 15:06:00

Hello,

we want to start a SLIP/PPP server for providing Internet access.  I
would like to know if any of you guys are using these boards:

1- Computone,
2- Consensys (64 ports!),
3- Cyclades,
4- Digiboard (I know this is working, is there a 32 or 64 ports board?)

I would also like to know if you are using dip, sliplogin, agetty or
what so ever.  Which package do you consider to be working the best
according to you?

Thanks a lot,
Pierre B.

Multi-Serial Board [Q]

Post by Ralph Si » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 03:45:24

>3- Cyclades,

We use the 8YO Cyclades board.

Quote:>I would also like to know if you are using dip, sliplogin, agetty or
>what so ever.  Which package do you consider to be working the best
>according to you?

pppd and agetty.

Install's a piece of pie.  Especially since Linus now includes
direct Cyclades support in the kernel.  And you don't even need
setserial.

--

  Northwest NEXUS, Inc. takes Internet OUT of the box!

  http://www.halcyon.com / +1 206 455 3505 voice

Multi-Serial Board [Q]

Post by Sonic Adm » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 02:14:42

: we want to start a SLIP/PPP server for providing Internet access.  I
: would like to know if any of you guys are using these boards:

: 1- Computone,
: 2- Consensys (64 ports!),
: 3- Cyclades,
: 4- Digiboard (I know this is working, is there a 32 or 64 ports board?)

I'm using both a Digiboard and a Cyclades card - both seem to work well.
Since I put in the Cyclades, some users on that card report problems with
sz, but I haven't pinned down the problem yet fully.

The Cyclades cards are available for about $399 for 16 ports, and you can
run two of those cards in one machine.  You probably don't really want to
run 64 users on one Linux box unless it's a Pentium 90 with at least 64
megs of ram.  We run 30 users on 32 megs with a '66, and it dogs down a bit
when we get this many.

Currently the machine with the Cyclades in it has both - for a total of 26
serial ports on four interrupts.   Our other hosts each have a single 8-port
digi in them.

Are there drivers for the Consensys card with 64 ports, and if so, what does
it cost?

The Digi drivers are currently widly available for the non-intelligent -
it's just some fancy port stuff in serial.c.  Email me for a copy.  I don't
think that their intelligent drivers are available yet.  Their cards are way
overpriced regardless - get the Cyclades while they're offering the promo
discount.

: I would also like to know if you are using dip, sliplogin, agetty or
: what so ever.  Which package do you consider to be working the best
: according to you?

We use 'tia'.  A host license cost us $500, and we have no hassles with
slattach and pppd.  My understanding of SLIP and PPP in the kernel is that
you can only have about 4 channels of each protocol running at the same
time; for more users, I think tia makes sense.  It's also simple to set the
users up - they all just get 192.0.1.2.  =)   Intermind tells me that PPP
will be available in tia in mid-march.

Oh, and if you want to look cool, rename 'tia' to 'slip' and then create a
shell script called 'tia' that does an 'exec slip $*' for you.  This way
users can do it either way, but in the 'w' listing, it just shows as slip.

Email if you have further questions.

- --
Dane Jasper                             Santa Rosa Public-Access Internet
                                        Sonoma Interconnect - sonic.net
(707)528-8748 (14.4kbps)                (707)528-0777 (Voice)

Multi-Serial Board [Q]

Post by Richard Shetr » Sun, 29 Jan 1995 22:26:44

[edited]

>: we want to start a SLIP/PPP server for providing Internet access.  I
>: would like to know if any of you guys are using these boards:

Wizvax Communications is using the BB2016.  We have recompiled the
kernel (1.1.33) with 8 slip and 8 ppp channels.  We'll be recompiling
with more channels soon as we are adding more modems to the modem pool.
We do have a separate news machine.

1. rs_multi loop break errors with boca multi-serial board

I'm having a problem with a Boca ioat66 6 port serial board I recently
installed.  I've got 4 modems hooked up to it (for dialin to our office
LAN).  They work great, except that I keep getting rs_multi loop break
errors on the console.  I know these errors are coming from the serial
driver, but I don't really know what they mean or how to fix them.....

This is on a  RedHat 5.0 system if that helps at all............

Does anyone have any suggestions???

2. Intermittent seg faults - elf, xview or gcc (or all three)

3. Multi-Serial IO Boards- Which best for PPP/SLIP

4. FBSD 2.2.6 + ATAPI ZIP

5. Who knows this multi-serial ISA board?

6. Virtual Listview for linux and qt

7. Driver for equinox multi-serial board

8. Suse 7.2 ESC-ESC for commandoline fillout?

9. Using heyu/cm11a with a Magma multi-serial board?

10. Anyone else sell Boca 2016 multi-serial board??

11. multi-Serial board

12. multi-serial card and linux serial driver