Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

Post by Mike Wat » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Here's the situation:

Dell Dimension 200mhZ PII running Redhat 5.0.  Kernel version 2.0.32.
PC has a 3Com Fast Etherlink NIC model 3C905.  Over the weekend I
upgraded the network to a LinkSys Fast Etherlink 16 port hub, which
replaced a number of smaller 10Base hubs.  Hooked the Linux box into the
new hub and decided to test the new transfer rate.

For a rough test I created a 10MB file on a Sun machine also on the
100MB LAN and from the Linux box tried to FTP the file.  It transferred
the file at only 99Kbytes/sec!  So I tried a 'put' of the same file
(Linux to Sun) and it transferred at 3.65Mbytes/sec.

So I logged into the Sun machine and did a 'get' on the same file, it
transferred around 6.55Mbyes/sec, then tried a 'put' (Sun to Linux) and
it again slowed to 99Kbytes/sec.

All other FTP transfers between the Linux box and other machines on the
100MB LAN transfer at normal rates.  All other transfers between the Sun
machine and the rest of the LAN are also at normal rates.  It seems just
between this Linux PC and Sun is there a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas about what might be the problem?
Or maybe has some ideas on how I might narrow down the likely suspects?

TIA,

-Mike-

Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

Post by Matthew Sa » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Let me repeat what I think you're saying:

When you try to ftp a file from the Sun to the Linux box
you get 99Kbps rates. This happens no matter if you are
'get'ing from the Linux box or 'put'ing from the Sun.

You have also just recently upgraded your network from
a 10mbps hub to a 100mbps hub.

It sounds like you're having a problem with full-duplex.
I had an identical problem, except it was a sun-sun transfer.
There are two possible fixes and one workaround.

1) patch 105795-?
2) replace lan cables
    (this was my problem, worked fine on half-duplex but not full,
     bought cables from store and worked fine)
3) turn off full-duplex on both systems and test
    /etc/system
      set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
      set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=1
      set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=0
    reboot (sigh!)

-Matthew

Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

Post by Wolfgang Sti » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Let me repeat what I think you're saying:

> When you try to ftp a file from the Sun to the Linux box
> you get 99Kbps rates. This happens no matter if you are
> 'get'ing from the Linux box or 'put'ing from the Sun.

> You have also just recently upgraded your network from
> a 10mbps hub to a 100mbps hub.

I made a similar experience in an 25MBit ATM environment on IBM and
Adaptec Hardware plus AIX and NT operating systems. I played around with
the size of the send buffer and receive buffer on both sides which changed
the behaviour of the ftp transfer rates in some cases dramatically.

wolfgang

--

These brain waves are my own and have
nothing to do with my employment.

Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Let me repeat what I think you're saying:

> When you try to ftp a file from the Sun to the Linux box
> you get 99Kbps rates. This happens no matter if you are
> 'get'ing from the Linux box or 'put'ing from the Sun.

> You have also just recently upgraded your network from
> a 10mbps hub to a 100mbps hub.

> It sounds like you're having a problem with full-duplex.
> I had an identical problem, except it was a sun-sun transfer.
> There are two possible fixes and one workaround.

> 1) patch 105795-?
> 2) replace lan cables
>     (this was my problem, worked fine on half-duplex but not full,
>      bought cables from store and worked fine)
> 3) turn off full-duplex on both systems and test
>     /etc/system
>       set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
>       set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=1
>       set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=0
>     reboot (sigh!)

No need to reboot...

ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_100hdx_cap 1
ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_100fdx_cap 0

--
Darren Dunham

Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

Post by Thomas Tornblo » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Here's the situation:

[...]

Quote:> For a rough test I created a 10MB file on a Sun machine also on the
> 100MB LAN and from the Linux box tried to FTP the file.  It transferred
> the file at only 99Kbytes/sec!  So I tried a 'put' of the same file
> (Linux to Sun) and it transferred at 3.65Mbytes/sec.

> So I logged into the Sun machine and did a 'get' on the same file, it
> transferred around 6.55Mbyes/sec, then tried a 'put' (Sun to Linux) and
> it again slowed to 99Kbytes/sec.

> All other FTP transfers between the Linux box and other machines on the
> 100MB LAN transfer at normal rates.  All other transfers between the Sun
> machine and the rest of the LAN are also at normal rates.  It seems just
> between this Linux PC and Sun is there a problem.

> Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas about what might be the problem?
> Or maybe has some ideas on how I might narrow down the likely suspects?

> TIA,

> -Mike-

Can you please try:
ndd -set tcp_slow_start_initial 2

It seems most (all?) non-sun tcp implementations violate the TCP RFC
in this respect.

--

Sun Microsystems AB      Fax: +46 8 623 9102

Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

Post by Ranko Popovi » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> No need to reboot...

> ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_autoneg_cap 0
> ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_100hdx_cap 1
> ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_100fdx_cap 0

You mean
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100hdx_cap 1
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100fdx_cap 0

Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > No need to reboot...

> > ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_autoneg_cap 0
> > ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_100hdx_cap 1
> > ndd -set /dev/hme hme_adv_100fdx_cap 0

> You mean
> ndd -set /dev/hme adv_autoneg_cap 0
> ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100hdx_cap 1
> ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100fdx_cap 0

Absolutely.  Lazy cut & paste on my part.  Sorry.

--
Darren Dunham

1. in ftp, put put *`date '+%Y%m%d'` doesn't work

In ftp I want to put a file from that ends in the current yyyymmdd.  eg.
filename_20000119 would be a the filename I want to put as it has the
current date (when I wrote this message) Using the following doesn't
work, any ideas?

put *_`date '+%Y%m%d'`

2. .htaccess file

3. Slackware Bootdsk Wont Boot!!

4. Linux SMP, dual and quad PPro processor boars

5. 64k files in dir - 'ls' slow but 'strace ls' fast?

6. Help with printer setup

7. FTP: logging things other than 'get' and 'put'

8. LinuxPPC99: 'INIT: ld ''x'' respawning too fast...'??

9. FTP file transfer slow with 'put' command

10. Slow ftp 'put'

11. FTP'ed files default to '-rw-r--r--' i need '-rw-------'