Home Lan

Post by Youxin Wan » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
    I am new to Linux and have a question.
    If I want to build a home lan with one computer connecting (router)
to outside. What do you think that I need to have HW/SW for the router?
    I plan to install Mandrake Linux to the router. So I guess the
router program is included.
    For HW, I think I need two NIC on the router: one connecting to the
outside, the other connecting to the hub. Is it right?
    Anyone who has experience please help me.

Youxin

Home Lan

Post by Kris Gonzale » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

you need to set your mandrake box as the gateway by assigning the IP
address of this computer as the gateway for all of your other systems. you
do not need two NICs in your linux box as your hub should regulate network
traffic to your linux box first & then to the outside internet...

-kg

> Hi,
>     I am new to Linux and have a question.
>     If I want to build a home lan with one computer connecting (router)
> to outside. What do you think that I need to have HW/SW for the router?
>     I plan to install Mandrake Linux to the router. So I guess the
> router program is included.
>     For HW, I think I need two NIC on the router: one connecting to the
> outside, the other connecting to the hub. Is it right?
>     Anyone who has experience please help me.

> Youxin

-- Kris Gonzalez
-- PC Leasing
-- 972.519.2796

Home Lan

Post by Youxin Wan » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi, Kris:
    Thank you.
    I have a question for you then. I would use the linux box to connect DSL,
this cost me one NIC. Then I need to connect the linux box to the hub, I need
another NIC.
    Is there any other configuration?

Youxin

--
Youxin Wang

TranSwitch Corporation
3 Enterprise Drive
Shelton, CT 06484

Phone:  203.929.8810 ext 2481
Fax:    203.944.1984

Home Lan

Post by Daniel Morri » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, Kris:
>     Thank you.
>     I have a question for you then. I would use the linux box to connect DSL,
> this cost me one NIC. Then I need to connect the linux box to the hub, I need
> another NIC.
>     Is there any other configuration?

> Youxin

> > you need to set your mandrake box as the gateway by assigning the IP
> > address of this computer as the gateway for all of your other systems. you
> > do not need two NICs in your linux box as your hub should regulate network
> > traffic to your linux box first & then to the outside internet...

> > -kg

> > > Hi,
> > >     I am new to Linux and have a question.
> > >     If I want to build a home lan with one computer connecting (router)
> > > to outside. What do you think that I need to have HW/SW for the router?
> > >     I plan to install Mandrake Linux to the router. So I guess the
> > > router program is included.
> > >     For HW, I think I need two NIC on the router: one connecting to the
> > > outside, the other connecting to the hub. Is it right?
> > >     Anyone who has experience please help me.

> > > Youxin

> > -- Kris Gonzalez
> > -- PC Leasing
> > -- 972.519.2796

> --
> Youxin Wang

> TranSwitch Corporation
> 3 Enterprise Drive
> Shelton, CT 06484

> Phone:  203.929.8810 ext 2481
> Fax:    203.944.1984

There is an excellent HOME-Network-Mini-HOWTO that can be found on the web at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/

See the link to the HOWTO docs, and under here a link to the mini-HOWTO docs.
You'll find it here. This should answer most of your questions.

dgm

Home Lan

Post by blowfis » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
>     I am new to Linux and have a question.
>     If I want to build a home lan with one computer connecting (router)
> to outside. What do you think that I need to have HW/SW for the router?
>     I plan to install Mandrake Linux to the router. So I guess the
> router program is included.
>     For HW, I think I need two NIC on the router: one connecting to the
> outside, the other connecting to the hub. Is it right?
>     Anyone who has experience please help me.

> Youxin

The *easiest* and the most simple way is to buy a hardware router. Like
those marketed by Linksys (US$<100 for a simple router model, and one
with a 4 ports 10/100 switch, DMZ, IPFiltering/firewall, Port
forewarding, DHCP,pppoE, Static IP, WAN and LAN ports, for about
US$150.00) Set everything up in a few minutes, with any graphical web
browser. Very compact as well. Just turn off the power on everything,
connect all the cables, then, turn the power back on, fire up your web
browser, point it to http://192.168.1.1 , and you'll be done in 5-10
minutes.

If you want to, you can piggy-bag/daisy chain a hub or a few hubs behind
it. No fuss no mess.

MUCH better than setting up a machine just for router/gateway/firewall
for SOHO.

Every extra machine running will just add more annoying noise and heat,
and a router like that is actually cheaper on the long run as well. No
moving parts to wear out.

There're at least 5, 6 router like that by different manufacturers for
$200. or less. Do a pricewatch.com check.

Alex / blowfish.

Home Lan

Post by Mark Darb » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
>     I am new to Linux and have a question.
>     If I want to build a home lan with one computer connecting (router)
> to outside. What do you think that I need to have HW/SW for the router?
>     I plan to install Mandrake Linux to the router. So I guess the
> router program is included.
>     For HW, I think I need two NIC on the router: one connecting to the
> outside, the other connecting to the hub. Is it right?
>     Anyone who has experience please help me.

> Youxin

Aside from buying a dedicated small router product, I would suggest
using LRP (Linux Router Project).  This is a self contained software
package that's REAL Linux that can be installed on a PC with nothing more
than about 16MB of memory and a floppy disk (CPU should be at least 486-like).
The package can be configured to fit on a single floppy.
I've used it to create a home network gateway to my ISP (right now, through
a 56K modem, no cable modem or DSL yet), but it can be reconfigured
for cable modem or DSL modem uplinks.  FYI, my inhouse net is based on
HPNA phoneline networking, running at 1Mbps, so I don't have to wire more
cabling to support 10baseT networking.

LRP can be found at www.linuxrouter.org

My $0.02.

Mark D.

Home Lan

Post by Bob Tenne » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

 >    If I want to build a home lan with one computer connecting (router)
 >to outside. What do you think that I need to have HW/SW for the router?
 >    I plan to install Mandrake Linux to the router. So I guess the
 >router program is included.
 >    For HW, I think I need two NIC on the router: one connecting to the
 >outside, the other connecting to the hub. Is it right?

You want to do what's called IP masquerading.  There's an IP masquerade
mini-howto and the topic is also discussed in the IPCHAINS HOWTO.
Ipchains is the program you'll use to set up the "routeing".
You should indeed use two NICs and a hub.

Bob T.

Home Lan

Post by Vincent - D.Ertne » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> The *easiest* and the most simple way is to buy a hardware router. Like
> those marketed by Linksys (US$<100 for a simple router model, and one
> with a 4 ports 10/100 switch, DMZ, IPFiltering/firewall, Port
> forewarding, DHCP,pppoE, Static IP, WAN and LAN ports, for about
> US$150.00) Set everything up in a few minutes, with any graphical web
> browser. Very compact as well. Just turn off the power on everything,
> connect all the cables, then, turn the power back on, fire up your web
> browser, point it to http://192.168.1.1 , and you'll be done in 5-10
> minutes.
> If you want to, you can piggy-bag/daisy chain a hub or a few hubs behind
> it. No fuss no mess.
> MUCH better than setting up a machine just for router/gateway/firewall
> for SOHO.
> Every extra machine running will just add more annoying noise and heat,
> and a router like that is actually cheaper on the long run as well. No
> moving parts to wear out.
> There're at least 5, 6 router like that by different manufacturers for
> $200. or less. Do a pricewatch.com check.

[slightly off topic]

I own an ELSA Lancom, got an IP address from my provider but since then
my Linux boxes refuse to resolve names:

(local net: 10.42.42.x)
- ping 10.42.42.x works
- ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx doesn't
- nslookup works
- traceroute www.linux.org doesn't

Am I right, that I have to configure ipchains in order to make it work
again?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Cheers

Vince

Home Lan

Post by blowfis » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> > The *easiest* and the most simple way is to buy a hardware router. Like
> > those marketed by Linksys (US$<100 for a simple router model, and one
> > with a 4 ports 10/100 switch, DMZ, IPFiltering/firewall, Port
> > forewarding, DHCP,pppoE, Static IP, WAN and LAN ports, for about
> > US$150.00) Set everything up in a few minutes, with any graphical web
> > browser. Very compact as well. Just turn off the power on everything,
> > connect all the cables, then, turn the power back on, fire up your web
> > browser, point it to http://192.168.1.1 , and you'll be done in 5-10
> > minutes.

> > If you want to, you can piggy-bag/daisy chain a hub or a few hubs behind
> > it. No fuss no mess.

> > MUCH better than setting up a machine just for router/gateway/firewall
> > for SOHO.

> > Every extra machine running will just add more annoying noise and heat,
> > and a router like that is actually cheaper on the long run as well. No
> > moving parts to wear out.

> > There're at least 5, 6 router like that by different manufacturers for
> > $200. or less. Do a pricewatch.com check.

> [slightly off topic]

> I own an ELSA Lancom, got an IP address from my provider - but since then
> my Linux boxes refuse to resolve names:

> (local net: 10.42.42.x)
> - ping 10.42.42.x works
> - ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx doesn't
> - nslookup works
> - traceroute www.linux.org doesn't

> Am I right, that I have to configure ipchains in order to make it work
> again?

> Any help is highly appreciated!

> Cheers

> Vince

Sounds like you're blocking out going packets from the internal.

Check your rules.

Alex / blowfish.

Home Lan

Post by MCC » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router
Part Number: BEFSR41

Is this a beast that you are describing Blowfish?

Home Lan

Post by Youxin Wan » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Blowfish:
    Does that Linksys router work with PPPoE?
    Thank you.

Youxin

--
Youxin Wang

TranSwitch Corporation
3 Enterprise Drive
Shelton, CT 06484

Phone:  203.929.8810 ext 2481
Fax:    203.944.1984

Home Lan

Post by blowfis » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router
> Part Number: BEFSR41

> Is this a beast that you are describing Blowfish?

Yeah.

blowfish.

Home Lan

Post by blowfis » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Blowfish:
>     Does that Linksys router work with PPPoE?
>     Thank you.

I believe so, I don't have the manuel here. But you can check their web
site, or check the product info at one of the on-line vendors like
buy.com.

They have a single port model for less than US$100.00

blowfish.

> Youxin

> > > Hi,
> > >     I am new to Linux and have a question.
> > >     If I want to build a home lan with one computer connecting (router)
> > > to outside. What do you think that I need to have HW/SW for the router?
> > >     I plan to install Mandrake Linux to the router. So I guess the
> > > router program is included.
> > >     For HW, I think I need two NIC on the router: one connecting to the
> > > outside, the other connecting to the hub. Is it right?
> > >     Anyone who has experience please help me.

> > > Youxin

> > The *easiest* and the most simple way is to buy a hardware router. Like
> > those marketed by Linksys (US$<100 for a simple router model, and one
> > with a 4 ports 10/100 switch, DMZ, IPFiltering/firewall, Port
> > forewarding, DHCP,pppoE, Static IP, WAN and LAN ports, for about
> > US$150.00) Set everything up in a few minutes, with any graphical web
> > browser. Very compact as well. Just turn off the power on everything,
> > connect all the cables, then, turn the power back on, fire up your web
> > browser, point it to http://192.168.1.1 , and you'll be done in 5-10
> > minutes.

> > If you want to, you can piggy-bag/daisy chain a hub or a few hubs behind
> > it. No fuss no mess.

> > MUCH better than setting up a machine just for router/gateway/firewall
> > for SOHO.

> > Every extra machine running will just add more annoying noise and heat,
> > and a router like that is actually cheaper on the long run as well. No
> > moving parts to wear out.

> > There're at least 5, 6 router like that by different manufacturers for
> > $200. or less. Do a pricewatch.com check.

> > Alex / blowfish.

> --
> Youxin Wang

> TranSwitch Corporation
> 3 Enterprise Drive
> Shelton, CT 06484

> Phone:  203.929.8810 ext 2481
> Fax:    203.944.1984

1. Home LAN and access to Cyberia for two Netizens

Hi people,

I am trying to set up a home LAN. I want it to be as simple as possible as i
am not a software/hardware engineer and have little programming experience.
Hence, i prefer GUI interface solutions if possible.

I am using Linux as it is secure, and cost effective. Eventually, I would
like to completely migrate to Linux but, I digress.

Here are the facts:

I have 3 pc's at home.

I have one computer which connects to the internet via a Motorola Surfboard
cable modem. I set this up for DHCP to be provided by the ISP {it has been
given a 211. IP addy). This pc is connected to our LAN with a RealTek
network card Static IP addy 192.168.10.10. This computer runs Linux Mdk 8.2
and works well for a grandad machine.

I have another computer which runs Linux Mdk 8.2/Windoze ME. This connects
to our LAN with an Intel network card. Static IP addy: 192.168.0.3. Its an
AMD Athlon 1.2 which I use for graphic design.

I have a third computer which runs Windoze 98 and connects via Compex
network card. Static IP addy 192.168.0.2. This is an Intel P2 machine owned
by my flatmate.

All of these computers are connected to a Hub using Cat5 cabling.

Only one PC can access the net at a time, even though I have gone and
completed the Internet Connection Sharing wizards on each of the pc's. I
dont know what I am doing wrong and to date, my trawling through NG's and
the internet hasnt helped resolve the problem.

Overall, I know that the grandad pc is managing the IP addy's of the other
computers. What I dont know is, does the LAN or the cable modem need to be
set for DHCP? it doesnt work with either one or even both set as DHCP.

What am I missing here? I would have thought that this would be the simplest
and easiest home LAN configuration possible to allow two people access to
cyberia at the same time.

Please help as I have spent the past 3 days in utter frustration. I am
completely befuddled by this and i am having nightmares about rogue and
unco-oprative IP addresses at night!

Cheers and TIA
Anthony

--
*remove ---=> !!!NO!SPAM!!! and !'s to reply directly
*would prefer all replies to NewsGroup so that others can benefit from your

2. newbie boot problems

3. Help with Home LAN

4. Pen for Linux?

5. setting up home lan

6. Linux sees less RAM then really exists. Why???

7. DSL sharing on home LAN?

8. Apache with Chroot users

9. DNS on home LAN

10. Home LAN + Cable Modem

11. Home-Lan question

12. Massive collisions on Linux /windows home LAN

13. Backup Options for Home LAN