NIS: ypclient cannot locate ypserver

Post by Lan Che » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

After we changed the ip/netmask/geteway addresses of our machines,
some strange things appeared. The network is working now (ftp,
telnet, ping, netscape ...), but the problem is that the client
machines cannot locate the ypserver.

We have three Redhat 6.2 machines, one serves as server and the
other two as clients, and the NIS version is 2. The ypserver
is ok on the server side, but the client machine can never find
the ypserver, even though I used the ip address directly for the
ypserver in file /etc/yp.conf. Every time one logins to a
client machine, there will be a warning message like
"YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound".

Other files being tried include /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/hosts
/etc/hosts.conf and /etc/sysconfig/network ...

The domain name had been set using "domainname xxx". I even
delete all the staff, and create a new NIS domain and update
the corresponding system, the problem still remains.

I appreciate your help very much!

Lan Chen

NIS: ypclient cannot locate ypserver

Post by Greg » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:55:22

I am having the same problem.

> Hi there,

> After we changed the ip/netmask/geteway addresses of our machines,
> some strange things appeared. The network is working now (ftp,
> telnet, ping, netscape ...), but the problem is that the client
> machines cannot locate the ypserver.

> We have three Redhat 6.2 machines, one serves as server and the
> other two as clients, and the NIS version is 2. The ypserver
> is ok on the server side, but the client machine can never find
> the ypserver, even though I used the ip address directly for the
> ypserver in file /etc/yp.conf. Every time one logins to a
> client machine, there will be a warning message like
> "YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound".

> Other files being tried include /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/hosts
> /etc/hosts.conf and /etc/sysconfig/network ...

> The domain name had been set using "domainname xxx". I even
> delete all the staff, and create a new NIS domain and update
> the corresponding system, the problem still remains.

> I appreciate your help very much!

> Lan Chen

1. What ypclient have bound to ypserver?

Hi,

How can I find out what ypclients have bound to a ypserver
(running 2.5.1, "ypserv -d" and "ypbind -ypsetme") without going
to each ypclient and running ypwhich -m, i.e. Is there a command
that can be run on the ypserver that lists all bound clients?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

2. dlopen, dlsym

3. Solaris 2.7 NIS client cannot log onto RHL62 NIS server

4. Can Redhat be installed over Slackware

5. NIS user cannot login to Solaris NIS client

6. Solstice AdminSuite

7. Cannot Locate Esound?

8. Successful Linux version using CAP

9. HELP: linker ld: cannot locate file for -lposix4

10. Q: (WFW/SAMBA using TCP/IP and NetBEUI) computer name cannot be located

11. please help - modprobe cannot locate modules

12. modprobe: cannot locate xxxx

13. Help: Cannot Locate directory/files after SCSI error