identd

Post by Torsten Cur » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:20:28

Should our firewall block ident requests or not?
I realized that a lot of MTAs seems to do such
requests - and actually I don't understand why?
Did I misunderstood the use of identd?

Can someone comment on this please?
--
Torsten

identd

Post by David K. Mean » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:49:03

Quote:> Should our firewall block ident requests or not?
> I realized that a lot of MTAs seems to do such
> requests - and actually I don't understand why?
> Did I misunderstood the use of identd?

I think the reason that a lot of mail transports first
try to identify the sender is that they want to reject
obviously forged mail.  Unfortunately, the desire to
authenticate the sender runs squarely into the desire
of lots of senders to remain (reasonably) anonymous
to general Internet queries, so most mail systems are
configured to accept e-mail even if they do not get the
authentication response they wish for (authenticated
user_name = From: name).

So, what we do here is to permit identd packets through
the firewall, and then we configure identd to report
OTHER for its opsys, and to pay attention to files
named  .noident  in each user's home directory.
Then we not only put such a file into each user's
home directory, but put one into /etc/skel, so that each
new account is automatically created with this feature on.

1. identd service enabled in X system config, identd loaded at boot, but no identd -- help

I have identd enabled from the system configuration services applet in X.  It starts up everytime on bootup but everytime
I get on irc there is no signs of identd working.  I assume this is a firewall issue and i'm totally lost when it comes to
the linux firewall.  I had selected medium security at install of 7.3.

thank you

2. Linking static vs. dynamic libs

3. Identd behind Firewall

4. multiple thread read() problems

5. identd working in 2.4?

6. kdebase-1.91-1.i386 -unsatisfied depenencies libkonsole.so.1

7. identd on RH6.1

8. ipchains

9. identd and TCPwrappers

10. identd ? what is it ???