spooling-problems with lpr and plp

Post by Frank Borcher » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------D16961F9DA30705B80684118

--------------73271744C17E43204D04EF6F

Hi,

I use a Linux-PC (586/133, 32 MB RAM, enough hard-disk-space) as
print-spooler for other PCs (Windows 3.11, 95, NT).
Sometimes I have to spool large files.

I used the "old" lpr-system with the pcnfsd in that way:
- export of /var/spool/pcnfs
- mount linux-pc-name/printername as lpt3: on the win-pcs

That works fine, if the spool-files are < 13 MB. If they are bigger, the
following happens:
- the file is complete in the var/spool/pcnfs - directory
- the file moves to var/spool/lpd/printername, until 13 MB are reached
- this file stays in the var/spool/lpd/printername - directory
- the pcnsd-daemon dies
- logfile-message: "pcnfsd:rpc.pcnfsd:su_popen timeout - killed child
process"

I tried the plp-print-system.
The plp works fine, even with large files. But I dont know, how to use
them on the
win-pc'c with mounting. It works with the lpr-command, but how do I use
it
with the pcnfsd-daemon ?

I hope, somebody can help me.

Thanx, Frank

--------------73271744C17E43204D04EF6F

<HTML>
Hi,<U></U>

<P>I use a Linux-PC (586/133, 32 MB RAM, enough hard-disk-space) as print-spooler
for other PCs (Windows 3.11, 95, NT).
<BR>Sometimes I have to spool large files.

<P>I used the "old" lpr-system with the pcnfsd in that way:
<BR>- export of /var/spool/pcnfs
<BR>- mount linux-pc-name/printername as lpt3: on the win-pcs

<P>That works fine, if the spool-files are &lt; 13 MB. If they are bigger,
the following happens:
<BR>- the file is complete in the var/spool/pcnfs - directory
<BR>- the file moves to var/spool/lpd/printername, until 13 MB are reached
<BR>- this file stays in the var/spool/lpd/printername - directory
<BR>- the pcnsd-daemon dies
<BR>- logfile-message: "pcnfsd:rpc.pcnfsd:su_popen timeout - killed child
process"

<P>I tried the plp-print-system.
<BR>The plp works fine, even with large files. But I don&acute;t know,
how to use them on the
<BR>win-pc'c with mounting. It works with the lpr-command, but how do I
use it
<BR>with the pcnfsd-daemon ?

<P>I hope, somebody can help me.

<P>Thanx, Frank</HTML>

--------------73271744C17E43204D04EF6F--

--------------D16961F9DA30705B80684118

begin:          vcard
fn:             Frank Borchers
n:              Borchers;Frank
org:            Bankgesellschaft Berlin AG

title:          Diplom-Kaufmann
tel;work:       +49-30-24566683
tel;fax:        +49-30-24566641
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard

--------------D16961F9DA30705B80684118--

1. Strange problem with plp print spool daemon

Hi,

        I have compiled and installed the plp 4.0.3 print spool system
from my August 95 Infomagic CD-ROMs.  However, I get the following error
whenever I try to run lpd:

celestra:~# lpd
Jan  4 12:37:17 lpd Get_Daemon: getpwnam(USER) failed: Bad file number
celestra:~#

I have taken a look at the source code, and it turns out that this happens
when a common library in plp tries to determine what the gid of the daemon
group is.  My /etc/group file seems OK to me, but I remember installing
shadow password support without shadow group support.
        Thanks for any help.

..........----------==========**********==========----------..........
                        Arthur Dikran Jerijian
         UCLA Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering
          World Wide Web: http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~jerijian
        Snail-Mail: PO Box 5103 / Sherman Oaks, CA 91413-5103
..........----------==========**********==========----------..........

2. GCC 2.6.2 - how to upgrade from 2.5.8

3. Problem: lpr spool directory on NSF mounted partitions

4. Latest Kernel Version??

5. Error in spool log :lpr: queue full

6. terminal emulation from console

7. Lpr Print Error: No Spool Queue