AMD PCI Ethernet Problem

Post by Dennis Jame » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

  I am trying to setup  an AMD Ethernet card in a docking station, but
Linux will not see it. PCI services picks it up, but I think it is after
Linux probes for network cards. How can I get Linux to go back and look for
the card after PCI finds it?
--
   Dennis James

   (PGP key available on request)

AMD PCI Ethernet Problem

Post by Ashok Narayana » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>   I am trying to setup  an AMD Ethernet card in a docking station, but
> Linux will not see it. PCI services picks it up, but I think it is after
> Linux probes for network cards. How can I get Linux to go back and look for
> the card after PCI finds it?
> --
>    Dennis James

>    (PGP key available on request)

  What Ethernet card are you using? The only AMD PCI interface I have used is
the AMD Lance (or a close cousin, the PCNet32) built into my Compaq
motherboard. Have you selected the drivers in the kernel?

If you have downloaded a driver, you will have to make sure the module loads
up correctly (or compile it into the kernel, but I like the modular approach).
I usually do this in rc.inet1, just before the rest of the eth0 code. In any
case, no network drivers are loaded before disk drivers (normally), so your
PCI bios has already been initialized.

After booting the system, do a "cat /proc/pci" to see the devices recognized
by your PCI board. If your Ethernet card is on that list, try configuring it.
If you have compiled a modular driver, load the module (if it isn't already
loaded). Do a "cat /proc/net/dev" to see the network devices recognized by
your kernel. Then, try "ifconfig eth0" (or eth1, or eth2, depending on how
many Ethernet boards you have). If ifconfig reports the board, you can go
ahead and run "/etc/rc.inet1" to configure the board (or manually ifconfig it
if you have multiple boards in the machine).

1. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card

I plan to get a Pentium 90 with 32MB RAM and 1GB SCSI-2 HD, with PCI/ISA
Bus and running Linux. After reading the various FAQs and HOWTOs, I still
have the following questions:

1. Does the latest Slackware Distribution 2.1.0 comes with the necessary
driver if I use the Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller card? I would like
to hear the experiences of netters who have actually use this card. Does it
install and work smoothly?

2. Similarly, does the latest release of Linux suport the AMD 79C970
(PCnet-PCI) ethernet card? Is it reliable? Experiences with the actual
use of this card (both positive and negative) would be most helpful.

3. Please suggest alternative PCI SCSI controller card and PCI ethernet
card if you know of any other that will work better.

4. I have come across questions similar to mine being asked on linux
newsgroup before. Please email your reply to me and I will post a summary of

Hwee Tou Ng

2. Ghostview?!

3. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card

4. Kernel Change Summary: 1.3.42

5. AMD PCNet PCI Ethernet Card Problem

6. CD-ROM drives with LINUX.

7. Major problems with AMD Lance (PCI) Ethernet adapters

8. ARGH! help me set up term, PLEASE!

9. Txpro mother board and AMD PCI ethernet card problem

10. AMD Am79c79x PCI Ethernet card

11. RH 4.0 support AMD PCI Ethernet?

12. AMD PCI Ethernet Card

13. Where can I find PCI 100Mb Ethernet drivers for Cogent or AMD?