Help...SAMBA only works one way ---->

Post by Michael Knig » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:44:38

A brief description of my setup.....

Two machines, one linux (RH 7.2) and one Windoze(Me) connected
together through a LinkSys router to share the net connection.

Both machines obtain IP's from the router via DHCP.

I am currently able to access the volumes on the Windoze machine via
smbclient and also smbmount (very cool!).

But I am unable to get access to my linux box from the windoze
machine.

It can see my linux box, and recognizes that it is a samba server.  It
looks like it is making the connection to the resource:

//linuxbox/$IPC

And then asks for a password.

Two questions....

1.  Who does the samba server think is trying to connect (i.e.
username).
2.  Which password do I use?  The one from my linux box or the windoze
one?

Thanks for any help.

-Michael

Help...SAMBA only works one way ---->

Post by Rick Lo » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:00:44

The windoze box is sending linux the userid and password you loged
into widoze with.  So, you need to have the same userid and password
in 3 places:  windoze, linux, and samba (using smbpasswd) since ME
sends encrypted passwords to Linux.  The samba config file can have
the guest account turned on, but you will not get into any linux files
that don't allow a guest to access them.  Far better off to have the
same userid and password in all 3 places.

> A brief description of my setup.....

> Two machines, one linux (RH 7.2) and one Windoze(Me) connected
> together through a LinkSys router to share the net connection.

> Both machines obtain IP's from the router via DHCP.

> I am currently able to access the volumes on the Windoze machine via
> smbclient and also smbmount (very cool!).

> But I am unable to get access to my linux box from the windoze
> machine.

> It can see my linux box, and recognizes that it is a samba server.  It
> looks like it is making the connection to the resource:

> //linuxbox/$IPC

> And then asks for a password.

> Two questions....

> 1.  Who does the samba server think is trying to connect (i.e.
> username).
> 2.  Which password do I use?  The one from my linux box or the windoze
> one?

> Thanks for any help.

> -Michael

Help...SAMBA only works one way ---->

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:58:05

Hi!,

Quote:> A brief description of my setup.....

> Two machines, one linux (RH 7.2) and one Windoze(Me) connected
> together through a LinkSys router to share the net connection.

> Both machines obtain IP's from the router via DHCP.

> I am currently able to access the volumes on the Windoze machine via
> smbclient and also smbmount (very cool!).

> But I am unable to get access to my linux box from the windoze
> machine.

> It can see my linux box, and recognizes that it is a samba server.  It
> looks like it is making the connection to the resource:

> //linuxbox/$IPC

> And then asks for a password.

> Two questions....

> 1.  Who does the samba server think is trying to connect (i.e.
> username).
> 2.  Which password do I use?  The one from my linux box or the windoze
> one?

You will need to take a look at the SMB-HOWTO located at
http://www.linuxdoc.org which explains the authentication mechanisms that
SAMBA uses on the Linux end.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

Hi.  I've spent the past day trying to get a group
of computers accessing each others' shares with
little success.

I have two networks:

a) Windows XP and 98 machines behind a USB
    ADSL net connection.  The XP machine acts as
    the ICS host.

b) Linux (with Samba installed) and Windows XP
    machines behind a cable modem.

I want the machines on network 'a' to be able to
access the shares on the machines on network 'b',
as well as each machine appear in the XP/98
Network Places.

Each network is assigned a dynamic IP, but they're
mapped to static addresses thanks to no-ip.org, and
they're also (obviously) on different subnets.  I think I
understand that if I configure Linux as a WINS server
then NetBIOS over TCP/IP should allow those
machines on network 'a' to see those machines on
network 'b' through Network Places.

So far, I've had no success.  I can, however, see the
Linux shares from network 'a' via

  Net View <IP address of Linux box>

but a call to smbclient -L <some machine on net 'a'>
fails with "Connection to <machine> failed".

Could anyone *please* help me resolve this problem?
I would greatly appreciate any feedback that *anyone*
could give.

2. CDROM writer support?

3. samba: win95->linux works, linux->win95 doesnt

4. KDE does not start when logging as user

5. rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted ( WinNT -> samba -> Linux -> NFS -> Solaris)

6. unable to compile

7. Printing PostScript: Win95 -> FreeBSD -> Samba -> GS -> HP LJIII

8. I can NOT Ping my IP address ??!!

9. samba <-> inet <-> samba via cable modem

10. LILO help <><><><><><>

11. sh->xqf->quake works, fvwm->xqf->quake hangs X?

12. Q: Print problem: Win95 -> Linux/Samba -> Linux/Netatalk -> LaserWriter

13. Linux Newbie: win98->ipmasq->Kinux->Internet: Now Samba question