Can Linux serve DOS files?

Post by Dan Sherrer » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I use primarily databases at work and am tired of closing a file to use it
on another computer. Do I have to stick with MS (get NT Server and the
expense and education involved) or will Linux serve Windows files? It's a
longstanding question I have had and finally decided to ask. I use Red Hat
5.0

Can Linux serve DOS files?

Post by Thomas Hora » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Check out samba for linux, you can set linux up as a nt server and share out
files for dos (if you have a dos client...).

Quote:>I use primarily databases at work and am tired of closing a file to use it
>on another computer. Do I have to stick with MS (get NT Server and the
>expense and education involved) or will Linux serve Windows files? It's a
>longstanding question I have had and finally decided to ask. I use Red Hat
>5.0

Can Linux serve DOS files?

Post by BOFHJ » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I use primarily databases at work and am tired of closing a file to use it
> on another computer. Do I have to stick with MS (get NT Server and the
> expense and education involved) or will Linux serve Windows files? It's a
> longstanding question I have had and finally decided to ask. I use Red Hat
> 5.0

I use my linux box using SAMBA and I share my MMX box's Win95 partition
and the /home tree for anyone who logs in from any Win* box on my
network.

Just grab samba from your Redhat CD and have a look at the config files,
they should be self explanatory

Can Linux serve DOS files?

Post by r.. » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I use primarily databases at work and am tired of closing a file to use it
>on another computer. Do I have to stick with MS (get NT Server and the
>expense and education involved) or will Linux serve Windows files? It's a
>longstanding question I have had and finally decided to ask. I use Red Hat
>5.0

Linux and the Samba server will serve up anything you ask of it: Windows or
DOS will see the file as if it were on any other network server, eg a Win95
share/NT box/Netware box

-Rick

1. SCSI-DAT s/w like tar for DOS to exchange files LINUX <--> DOS?

Hi folks!

Is there any software for DOS to access SCSI-DAT drives?
I would like to exchange some big files with DOS users.
I use an HP35470A DAT drive to back up my Linux box and
to exchange data with other Un*x machines. It would be
great to extend this data exchange to DOS boxes.

Is there any adequate software, which runs on Linux and
on DOS?

I found a tar for DOS made by MKS Systems in Canada, but
it cant't handle DATs.

Any other suggestions?

Andreas
Andreas Kaeser           Metzer Strasse 13a       D-58332 Schwelm

2. Windowmaker 0.60 and dockable apps

3. How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

4. GDB Trouble

5. serving cgi files and html files in same directory

6. How to present a .gif file in ASCII ART format?

7. Apache: telling module mod_plsql to skip .GIF, .JPEG files and serve them from a file system

8. Can Unix OS 5.0.2 run mounted Xenix filesystems with apps?

9. Using Linux to serve files to a Win95 Machine

11. Apache Linux NTFS: Serving html files from NTFS drive

12. Best File Serving product on Linux

13. PPC Linux and File Serving