PPPD: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"

PPPD: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"

Post by Andy Peter » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have my Linux box configured to use ppp to dial into the network at work,
and it's fine.   However, I need to use a regular "consumer" ISP instead, so
I made new scripts and such.  DHCP wasn't required with the work dialin but
is required for the ISP.   The ISP's nameservers are listed in
/etc/resolv.conf too.

After dialing and connecting and parsing the login and password info,  I get
the following messages in the ppp.log:

Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Connection terminated.
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Exit.

What does all this mean?  I can connect to this particular ISP using a Win98
box and a Mac.  What's somewhat interesting is that I can't connect to them
using NT.

When I connect using minicom and enter the username and password, I get to
their old shell menu.  The ISP used to offer shell accounts but they've
stopped that recently and haven't gotten rid of the menus.

Is this an authentication problem?  The ISP doesn't know about OSes other
than Win3.1/95/98 and Mac, so I'm not sure what kind of authentication is
required.  I think they host on some kind of Unix, tho'.

Clues?

Andy Peters
Sr Electrical Engineer
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
apeters (at) noao.edu

"Creation Science" is an oxymoron.

PPPD: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"

Post by John » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi Andy,

What's probably happening is your ISP's unix box is starting a terminal
session instead of initiating ppp because you are not requesting
authentication.  Make sure your linux box is setup to request/perform
PAP authentication.  Your connection script should not require you to
parse a username/password string - if you are needing to parse it, then
you are still logging in on a terminal.  While that's fine if your
terminal is 8-bit clean (your work, most likely), it doesn't work on all
systems (your ISP's).

Your files for the ISP connection should look similar to the following:

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

myLoginName     *       myPassword      *

your connect script: (these are dual single-quotes below)

REPORT CARRIER '' at&fdtxxxxxxx CONNECT ''

Your /etc/ppp/options file is a little trickier, since it depends on
your exact setup.  You'll need to have all the right stuff, including a
"user" entry, but it sounds like you're able to dial and connect, so
you're mostly there already.  :-)  For reference, my options file looks
like:

/dev/ttyS1 115200 crtscts defaultroute lock modem user myLoginName

Regards,
John

Quote:> I have my Linux box configured to use ppp to dial into the network at work,
> and it's fine.   However, I need to use a regular "consumer" ISP instead, so
> I made new scripts and such.  DHCP wasn't required with the work dialin but
> is required for the ISP.   The ISP's nameservers are listed in
> /etc/resolv.conf too.

> After dialing and connecting and parsing the login and password info,  I get
> the following messages in the ppp.log:

> Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Connection terminated.
> Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
> Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
> Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Exit.

> What does all this mean?  I can connect to this particular ISP using a Win98
> box and a Mac.  What's somewhat interesting is that I can't connect to them
> using NT.

> When I connect using minicom and enter the username and password, I get to
> their old shell menu.  The ISP used to offer shell accounts but they've
> stopped that recently and haven't gotten rid of the menus.

> Is this an authentication problem?  The ISP doesn't know about OSes other
> than Win3.1/95/98 and Mac, so I'm not sure what kind of authentication is
> required.  I think they host on some kind of Unix, tho'.

> Clues?

> --
> --
> Andy Peters
> Sr Electrical Engineer
> National Optical Astronomy Observatories
> apeters (at) noao.edu

> "Creation Science" is an oxymoron.

PPPD: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
>Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Connection terminated.
>Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
>Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0

This means the remote end is sending your ascii text while you are
trying negotiate ppp.

For step by step instructions about setting up ppp under Linux, see
              http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

1. "receive serial link is not 8-bit clean" error

I'm another newbie who cannot get ppp to work (RH 5.2).  I've looked at
everything I can see, and I think the problem might be related to an
error in the /var/log/messges which states:

Connection terminated
Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Hangup (SIGHUP)
Exit.

Does this ring a bell in anyone's head??

TIA.

Morgan

2. SAMBA into Windows? Or make Windows comform to Linux?

3. pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."

4. How do you do this? ...

5. pppd: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

6. Examples sought, control client working with

7. LCP Timeout on starting pppd, Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

8. White Line down the side of screen

9. pppd[662]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean

10. pppd problem - "Not 8-bit clean"

11. pppd problems - "Not 8-bit clean"

12. ppp problem: no "recvd [LCP ConfReq" link not 8-bit clean HELP!

13. Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean