Help with "bind: Address already in use" errors

Help with "bind: Address already in use" errors

Post by Charlie Zende » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I use Redhat Linux 6.1 on a Dell i7500 laptop.
I have been trying to hook this machine up to a home LAN, and
have thus been editing some of the /etc files to get it to work.
Now I am getting lots of troubling error in /var/log/messages like

Feb 12 06:19:32 lanina inetd[2951]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

The gist of the message is pretty clear, but I have no idea how
to track down which particular address is already in use, and how
to fix it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie
--

Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100

Help with "bind: Address already in use" errors

Post by Charlie Zende » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

fuser -v 113/tcp tells me that there are ten or eleven identd processes
owned by
root using port 113. This sounded high so I executed

identd stop
identd start

and the same number of identd processes restarted. Is this normal?
Could the 'Address already in use' error message be referring to a
host or network address rather than a port number?

--

Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100

Help with "bind: Address already in use" errors

Post by Malwar » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Charlie,

> fuser -v 113/tcp tells me that there are ten or eleven identd processes
> owned by
> root using port 113. This sounded high so I executed

> identd stop
> identd start

> and the same number of identd processes restarted. Is this normal?
> Could the 'Address already in use' error message be referring to a
> host or network address rather than a port number?

The number of processes being 11 is normal for an implementation using
kernel threads. However this is not your problem. You problem is that
you try to run it twice. Once as stand-alone daemon as started by the
"identd start" and once via the super daemon inetd. You have to decide
for one type of invocation. Wether do an "identd stop" and hold it from
starting at the system boot what IIRC can be done by a novoice within
the control panel. Or comment out the line starting with "auth" in
/etc/inetd.conf.

Malware