POP3 dying?

Post by Mark » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Last weekend we configured a RedHat 5.2 Linux machine to be our corporate
e-mail server.  It's basically been working wonderfully.  However, this
morning I received several reports of people getting error messages from
their e-mail clients.  The error messages were that "the pop3 server name
specified cannot be found...."  When I heard this I checked my own e-mail
and received the same message.  I was able to ping the server but couldn't
retrieve mail.  Rebooting the Linux mail server stopped the error message
and allowed us to continuing getting our e-mail.

My understanding is that my POP3 server ( ipop3d) is started from my
inetd.conf file whenever a telnet request is made on port 110.  (I didn't
check to see if this was running before I rebooted so it's possible it had
died.)  Any other possibilities?  Since I'm not sure why it happened I can't
be sure it won't happen again, like while I'm on vacation.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

[...]

1. pop3 die

In the past, I have set up a linux as the e-mail server in my company.
But the pop3 server does not work recently.  It can not receive any
e-mail. What is the problem? Can anyone help me fix it?

Regards,
Isaac

2. BJC-600 Filter

3. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die

4. Tooltalk???

5. Zombie die die die

6. DHCP Client Problems !!!!

7. /ethan die,die,die

8. Hard-drive problem? Help?

9. Help! POP3 services have died on me...

10. sendmail & POP3...need help or will die!

11. Pop3 server dies when ldap server running

12. pop3.email.msn.com pop3 protocol

13. iptables pop3 clients connecting to ext pop3 servers