browsing hosts and shares with Samba - problems

browsing hosts and shares with Samba - problems

Post by John Gil » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:04:27

Hi all.

Well, I am a few days into my "production environment" using Samba for
Linux - Win 95/98/NT integration. I have a small problem.  First, let me say
that all of my Linux shares are working fine.  The issue is with Win98
shares.

I am running Red Hat 7 Linux with Samba 2.0.7, and have Three Win 95.98
clients and two Win NT clients on the LAN, all running at home.  All
machines sucessfully running tcp/ip with NetBIOS and the Linux box is acting
as PDC and Wins server.  Win 95/98/NT machines with shares are running file
sharing for MS Networks, with binding to tcp/ip.

Issue #1 -- NT clients can "see" Win98 clients in Network Neighborhood, but
cannot view shares when you click the computer icon;

Issue #2 -- Win98 client can see shares on another Win98 client, but cannot
open the share;

Issue #3 -- Win98 client with a share:  I am unable to specify which users
can access the share.  I get an error that the user list is unavailable.

Thanks,

-- John

browsing hosts and shares with Samba - problems

Post by John Gil » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:50:39

Of course, one way to get around this is to use smbmount at the Linux server
level, and then mount each Win share.  In that manner, each Win client will
be able to access the share from the server.  It seems like backward logic,
so I am looking for a more obvious answer.

-- JJG

Quote:> Hi all.

> Well, I am a few days into my "production environment" using Samba for
> Linux - Win 95/98/NT integration. I have a small problem.  First, let me
say
> that all of my Linux shares are working fine.  The issue is with Win98
> shares.

> I am running Red Hat 7 Linux with Samba 2.0.7, and have Three Win 95.98
> clients and two Win NT clients on the LAN, all running at home.  All
> machines sucessfully running tcp/ip with NetBIOS and the Linux box is
acting
> as PDC and Wins server.  Win 95/98/NT machines with shares are running
file
> sharing for MS Networks, with binding to tcp/ip.

> Issue #1 -- NT clients can "see" Win98 clients in Network Neighborhood,
but
> cannot view shares when you click the computer icon;

> Issue #2 -- Win98 client can see shares on another Win98 client, but
cannot
> open the share;

> Issue #3 -- Win98 client with a share:  I am unable to specify which users
> can access the share.  I get an error that the user list is unavailable.

> Thanks,

> -- John

1. Can't Browse Samba Shares from XP Home Edition

I have a partially working home LAN. I have 4 computers in the
network.
There is a firewall/gateway PC running Linux (Smoothwall distro), a
file server running Samba 2.2.7 and 2 Windows machines running XP Home
adition. From either XP machine, I can map drives and access shares of
the Samba machine with no problems. Commands that use \\server\share
work fine.

I can't browse any machine on the network however. When I click on the
workgroup
name from My Network Places, I get "The network name cannot be found".

Attached is the smb.conf file. Any suggestions on what to try would be
greatly appreciated.

I have read many emails and read many articls but still cannot
get the browsing function to work from the XP machines.

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
 interfaces = eth0
 writeable = yes
 allow hosts = 192.168.0. 127.
 dns proxy = no
 security = user
 encrypt passwords = yes
 server string = CC
 workgroup = Watlan
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 netbios name = fserver
 bind interfaces only = no
 load printers = yes
 guest account =
 wide links = no
 os level = 20
 username map = /etc/samba/user.map
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 max log size = 50

[shared]
 path = /home/shared
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 comment = Shared Folder
 create mode = 700
 directory mode = 700
 printable = no

[Backups]
 path = /backup
 valid users = ken,maria,admin
 dont descend = /backup/lost+found

[homes]
 browseable = no
 create mode = 700
 directory mode = 700

2. 2.4 kernel CBQ problem

3. NT can't browse samba shares but Win98

4. 2 video cards - MONO + VGA

5. konqueror hangs browsing samba shares

6. IRCd

7. Can't Browse Samba Shares

8. Using ttys to launch an app at startup in NetBSD.

9. browsing a samba share in security=user

10. Browsing NT shares with samba

11. Slow browsing with NT 4.0 on Samba-share after upgrade to sp6

12. Samba problems : can't read the shared dir, no shared printer

13. SAMBA Browsing Problem