slow smtp performance

Post by Dav » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:45:56

I have recently built a new smtp erver that is not yet live, but in
testing it seems that the smtp conversations take a long time to
complete.  Even for messages that are only bytes long, the
conversation can take upwards of 20 seconds.  any ideas?

slow smtp performance

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 02:09:12

>I have recently built a new smtp erver that is not yet live, but in
>testing it seems that the smtp conversations take a long time to
>complete.  Even for messages that are only bytes long, the
>conversation can take upwards of 20 seconds.  any ideas?

Sounds like a DNS problem since the smtp server usually does a reverse
lookup of any IP connecting to it.  Are all connecting boxes and your own
hostname in DNS or /etc/hosts?

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

Hello,

I have installed RedHat7.1 and have read the release notes and recent
postings. When I do a netstat -a I get:

tcp        0      0   host.domain.com:smtp                  *:*    LISTEN

I have uncommented the DAEMON OPTIONS in the sendmail.mc and rebuilt the
sendmail.cf. I have also left the line in with the following and received
the same netstat result:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA') "
and
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=*, Name=MTA') "

There is nothing in the host.deny file. I added SENDMAIL:ALL to the
host.allow file as suggested by release notes. I have tried stopping
IPCHAINS services(even though the rules look good).

What do I have to do to get the following from netstat -a:

 tcp        0      0        *:smtp                  *:*    LISTEN

Thanks in advance...David

2. A hole ...

3. Kernel Modifications to improve SMTP performance

4. owner -> nobody

5. listserver performance / SMTP timeouts

6. Database algorithms suitable for 'C' and unix needed.

7. Performance SMTP Server

8. Re : Expect

9. Slow Initial SMTP Connection

10. Slow SMTP response times

11. Qmail with SMTP is slow

12. smtp behind firewall send mail slow help?

13. SMTP connection slows and then stops