Telnet refused to my machine but all others work, help!

Telnet refused to my machine but all others work, help!

Post by klax.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am running linuxppc-1999 on a StarMax 3000/240. i
am on a cable modem.  all INET services and
otherwise work when a remote system tries to
connect but with telnet, the connection is refused
even before it gets to the login prompt. it says :

"unable to connect to remote host: connection
refused."

when i type 'in.telnetd' in the command prompt, it
says:

"in.telnetd: getpeername: socket operation on non-
socket"

how can i get telnet to work?  i have rebooted the
machine, restarted inet many times and network
too...please help...any suggestions would be
appreciated.  thanx.

Rick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by patrick.them.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am running linuxppc-1999 on a StarMax 3000/240. i
> am on a cable modem.  all INET services and
> otherwise work when a remote system tries to
> connect but with telnet, the connection is refused
> even before it gets to the login prompt. it says :

> "unable to connect to remote host: connection
> refused."

> when i type 'in.telnetd' in the command prompt, it
> says:

> "in.telnetd: getpeername: socket operation on non-
> socket"

> how can i get telnet to work?  i have rebooted the
> machine, restarted inet many times and network
> too...please help...any suggestions would be
> appreciated.  thanx.

sorry i dont know some of the things you mention ( whats a starmax3000?)
anyway, first thing, try telnet locally
( open a xterm/whatever on your linuxbox, and do
 telnet (name-of-linuxbox)).
if it is NOT working, look for the following:
- is telnet-service started (/etc/protocols or services or something, im
not really sure and cant find out right now)
should normally start along with inetd
- is telnet allowed/forbidden(hosts.allow,hosts.deny)
- look for messages in /var/log/messages

hth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Connection refused -- how to telnet(ftp,rlogin, etc) my own machine?

I have problem trying to connect my own machine. My /etc/inetd.conf
contains the following lines:
    ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  wu.ftpd
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

The ifconfig and route commands give me correct value I expect, my
/etc/hosts.allow is dummy(originally I include a line:   ALL: 127.0.0.1
but that is of no use), so is /etc/hosts.deny.  The nslookup command
can sucessefully find my ip and machine name, ping my machine has
no problem. I use PPP to get connection with the net, but my machine
name is a fixed one(i.e., my ip is static), so the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
only
contains two lines:

    HOSTNAME=`cat /etc/HOSTNAME`

# Attach the loopback device.
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

That's all.  I want to find a way to be able to connect my own machine(I

didn't try it as root since by default root is refused connection), if
you know
the answer, please tell me, I tried to fix this problem for several days
without

2. Scheduler priorities

3. RedHat 8.0 -- Telnet works to local host, but can't telnet from a remote machine

4. Xremote/Xterm from DOS/unix

5. How to get telnet from my work to home machine with term working.

6. Deamons and autostarting them

7. Telnet to another Linux machine does not work - Help please

8. Ethernet card and DHCP problems

9. Telnet refuses to send (both telnet and kermit)

10. 3c509 Refuses to work under Linux (the other nic also refuses)

11. HELP: Telnet Connection Refused

12. Simple client/server socket program works on one Linux machine, it doesnot work on other machine

13. localhost connections refused, others fine, RH 3.03