Hardware for News-server(NNTP)

Post by Henrik Juul Hanse » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi .....to someone running a News-server on a Linux machine.

I am going to set up a USENET News-server. Right now I have been looking
on different hardware and OS'es and programs.
I am to have about 10.000 groups and from 2 to 14 days expire time.
Software I am going to use innd. Harddisk about 15-30GB.

My question is:
Is this possible on a Pentium(or Alpha)?
Does anyone run a big News-server on a Linux machine?

Which hardware do you use/reccomend?

I have been looking on:
Pentium motherboards Zappa/Triton/Endeavor.
128MB memory.
3Com Fast Etherlink 10/100 PCI.
4-8 x 4GB Wide Fast SCSI disks.
two FW SCSI controllers.

Any comments on these motherboards?

Which SCSI controllers are recommended? Are there any problems when
using more than one controller?

Will the work? Should I try an Alpha machine instead of a Pentium?
Any comments are welcome.

Sincerely,

Henrik Juul Hansen

Please send copy to

Post by bill davids » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

| I am going to set up a USENET News-server. Right now I have been looking
| on different hardware and OS'es and programs.
| I am to have about 10.000 groups and from 2 to 14 days expire time.
| Software I am going to use innd. Harddisk about 15-30GB.

Sounds reasonable. Note that there are only about 10k active groups
in a full feed, and about 6k with volume so low it doesn't count. If
you carry the active 10k you will be getting ~1G/day feed.

| My question is:
| Is this possible on a Pentium(or Alpha)?
| Does anyone run a big News-server on a Linux machine?

I see no reason why not, I run servers about that size on servers
with P6 class power. The limit is not taking the feed, but how many
users you can support.

| I have been looking on:
| Pentium motherboards Zappa/Triton/Endeavor.
Triton = no parity. I would pass on that for even home use,
certainly not use it on a production server. There are board
available which use the SIS chipset and have parity. With 256k burst
cache they run ~$1200 for a P5-166. That should be plenty.

| 128MB memory.

The memory depends on the number of users and how they connect. Net
users grab an article and read it, while modem users, even is
running IP, are going a *lot* slower and therefore keep you sockets
and memory in use longer. Be prepared to go bigger on memory.

| 3Com Fast Etherlink 10/100 PCI.
| 4-8 x 4GB Wide Fast SCSI disks.
| two FW SCSI controllers.

| Which SCSI controllers are recommended? Are there any problems when
| using more than one controller?

You may have to use a line in LILO to tell it to look for the 2nd
one. Memory says "must" rather than may, but it's not a big deal if
you are looking for it. Put the boot device on controller zero.

| Will the work? Should I try an Alpha machine instead of a Pentium?

The Alpha port is less tested than the Intel port, and the CPU is
unlikely to be a problem. I strongly suggest using 1.2.13 rather
than the new kernel, since there have been a number of "learning
experiences" in 1.3 at times, and you probably don't need any of the
new features.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch

1. INN/nntp - news server for internal news?

I want to set up an internal news server at work, not
connected to a usenet feed. The docs for INN say that
I don't need to read the docs if I'm not going to connect
to usenet.

        Well then how do I set up my own newsgroups,
is INN not a news server and I am barking up the wrong
tree or is INN a newsserver and the setup obvious?

Thanks Joe

2. mounting cdrom under 2.2.0pre7-ac4

3. NNTP News & Local News

4. ufsrestore

5. How to get news via term w/o NNTP server access?

6. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

7. INN/nntp - is this a news server too?

8. Can one inode points to two different files under the same directory ?

9. got NNTP and NEWS server timeout using Masq'g

10. News server (nntp) setup

11. DNEWS FAST NNTP News Server FAQ Monthly Pointer

12. Need NNTP News Server

13. NNTP News Server (INN) and Sources