Problems smbpasswd file

Post by Evan Walt » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:11:27

I have just installed linux and am setting up Samba.  I set up the
smbpasswd file, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.
For example, if I type

# /etc/samba/smbpasswd -a johndoe,

it would reply something like:

/etc/samba/smbpasswd:
ewalter:500:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U: command not found
/etc/samba/smbpasswd:
UserA:495:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U: command not found
for all the names listed in the file.

I think I set it up correctly (I followed instructions in the book) My
smbpasswd file is in the /etc/samba directory.   I created the file
with this command:
cat /etc/passwd | /usr/lib/samba/scripts/mksmbpasswd.sh >
/etc/samba/smbpasswd.

My os is  Suse 7.0

Thanks

Problems smbpasswd file

Post by David Ya » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:25:12

> I have just installed linux and am setting up Samba.  I set up the
> smbpasswd file, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.
> For example, if I type

> # /etc/samba/smbpasswd -a johndoe,

> it would reply something like:

> /etc/samba/smbpasswd:
> ewalter:500:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U: command not found
> /etc/samba/smbpasswd:
> UserA:495:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U: command not found
> for all the names listed in the file.

> I think I set it up correctly (I followed instructions in the book) My
> smbpasswd file is in the /etc/samba directory.   I created the file
> with this command:
> cat /etc/passwd | /usr/lib/samba/scripts/mksmbpasswd.sh >
> /etc/samba/smbpasswd.

> My os is  Suse 7.0

> Thanks

That's because you are trying to execute the actual file that contains the
user passwords!

There are *two* files called smbpasswd.  One is the executable in
/usr/bin/smbpasswd and the other is the password file itself in
/etc/samba/smbpasswd.

Try /usr/bin/smbpasswd -a johndoe or even just smbpasswd -a johndoe

Problems smbpasswd file

Post by Lars O. Grob » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:38:22

Check the permissions of your /etc/smbpasswd - it is a config file
containing the passwords, and I wonder why it is set to be executable on
your box...

While you already got the answer, a hint: try "which smbpasswd", and you
will get the full path to the command smbpasswd... You can do this with
every command / program in your path, this helps a lot. You should never
have to execute files in /etc (only the scripts in /etc/rc.d are to be
started when switching runlevels).

CU, Lars.

1. sync smbpasswd file with passwd file

Is there a way to have the smbpasswd file in sync with the passwd file.  I
would like to be able to add a user and have the smbpasswd file be
updated.  If this is not possible, how do I simply add a new user to the
smbpasswd file without recopying the passwd file over the smbpasswd file I
already have.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. SRC?

3. samba with more smbpasswd files

4. wHERE TO FIN D QVISION2000 DRIVER

5. Apache Authentication to either /etc/passwd or smbpasswd files

6. Network Printing, rights for all hosts in a domain

7. smbpasswd file

8. TCP/IP recommendations...

9. smbpasswd problem

10. NT PDC and samba 2.0.3 smbpasswd problem.

11. smbpasswd for normal user problem

12. Smbpasswd problem

13. Smbpasswd return: malformed password entry (no :)