rsh [cvs] to RedHat 7.1 server with no password - how?

rsh [cvs] to RedHat 7.1 server with no password - how?

Post by Scot » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:52:39

Hi,

My goal is to set up a CVS server for our department. The CVS works
fine, but rsh seems to be the roadblock: it has not been possible to
remotely do CVS, because rsh with any command other than a shell asks
for a password.

How can I get rsh to trust the other systems on the network? Has anyone
done this specific thing in RH 7.1?

We're behind a firewall, and simply getting CVS/rsh to work takes
priority even over security. (i.e. ssh would only be an option if it
were _faster_ to set up for the server and the 8 developers).

Setup of cvshost:
Redhat 7.1 server install from CD, "No Firewall" selected
make install cvs 1.11.1-1p1
cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init
enable rlogin and rsh in /etc/xinetd.d/
ipchains -L shows ACCEPT for all 3 chains
rpm -qa shows both rshd and rlogind
put "+ +" in /etc/hosts.equiv
-- don't know if the above is correct for Linux
commented out everything in /etc/pam.d/rlogin and /etc/pam.d/rsh
renamed /etc/sysconfig/firewall to firewall.old
-- above 2 are pure voodoo, where's TFM on these?
reboot so changes are sure to take effect

... so I've tried most of the "try..." and "you might want to..."
from Google Groups

add a user with same name as my account on "otherhost"
put all combinations of "+", other host IP and username in ~/.rhosts

Symptoms:

1. rsh with no trailing command
otherhost:$ rsh cvshost     # a known host in /etc/hosts
Password:       # How can I get it to stop asking for a password?
cvshost:$       # enter a password, and get my remote shell. This works.
cvshost:$ exit
otherhost:$

2. rsh with trailing command
otherhost:$ rsh cvshost 'echo $PATH'    # echo $PATH and return
poll: protocol failure in circuit setup
(could be a "Connection refused" message here? I'm not at work right now)
otherhost:$     # rsh with command failed

3. cvs update
otherhost:$ cvs -d ':ext:cvshost:/usr/local/cvsroot' status
poll: protocol failure in circuit setup
cvs [status aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
if any)
otherhost:$     # failed

My thought/guesses:

1) rsh requiring the password is hosing up #2 and #3 above for the same
reason
2) if I can get rsh to let me in without a password, I'll be closer to
bridging the gap with CVS
3) Maybe I'm overlooking something with PAM; can I just bypass it?
4) Is no-password rsh just not possible in RH71? That would have been
cool to find out earlier

Thanks
Scott

--
Kurumi http://kurumi.com/
3di's, Conn. Roads, maps, interchanges

rsh [cvs] to RedHat 7.1 server with no password - how?

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:58:22

Hi!,

Quote:> My goal is to set up a CVS server for our department. The CVS works
> fine, but rsh seems to be the roadblock: it has not been possible to
> remotely do CVS, because rsh with any command other than a shell asks
> for a password.

> How can I get rsh to trust the other systems on the network? Has anyone
> done this specific thing in RH 7.1?

Does using a ".rhosts" file actually help you ?, it should allow connections
to be made to your system without any password being offered.  However, I will
insert the disclaimer about security.  Doing the .rhosts trick will mean that
anyone who matches the details in your .rhosts file will be able to login into
the system without a password.

See ya

Dean Thompson

rsh [cvs] to RedHat 7.1 server with no password - how?

Post by Duri » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:38:56

Quote:> Does using a ".rhosts" file actually help you ?, it should allow connections
> to be made to your system without any password being offered.  However, I will
> insert the disclaimer about security.  Doing the .rhosts trick will mean that
> anyone who matches the details in your .rhosts file will be able to login into
> the system without a password.

Hi Folks,

I'm facing exactly the same problem an scenario, and would be most
happy if someone can help with this one.

I'm on RH Linux 7.2, and had the the following:

Add '+' to both the /etc/hosts.equiv and /root/.rhosts AND ~(ordinary
user)/.rhosts file.

Yes, I've tried changing the '+' to the actual hostnames and they all
don't work.

I've no problem with the other 2 servers running HPUX 11.00 and
Solaris. I can rsh  from my Linux box to the HPUX and Solaris boxes,
but not the other way round.

Security is the least of my concerns as I'm on a private network. My
intention is to rsync from my Win98/Win2k/HPUX/Solaris boxes to the
Linux box for backing up files as the Linux box has a lot of disk
space, and a DDS3 tape drive.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Yew-Liang

1. CVS on RedHat 7.1

Hello,

I like to start a CVS-Server on RedHat 7.1.
Lokal it is running, but no remote access. In the manual they say, I should edit
the inetd.conf.
This works fine on a RedHat 6.2-Box, but there isn't a inetd.conf on RH 7.1 ?!?

So, what to do to open Port 2401 on the network ?

Franziskus

2. help!! cant get on IRC...??

3. RedHat 7.1 and rsh

4. Help: can't use harddisk after login.

5. rsh and RedHat 7.1 - how does it work!?

6. mail over modem

7. Problems in rsh and rexec on redhat 7.1

8. dosemu problems

9. passwordless rsh for a beowulf in redhat 7.1

10. Redhat 7.1 workstation connecting to RedHat 6.2 server

11. CVS: Using both client/server method with rsh and -d option for checkout

12. Mail server of Redhat 7.1

13. about redhat 7.1 ftp server setting