Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Herman K. La » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?

Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card instead?

Thanks,
Herman Lau

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Bhavesh Nai » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Herman;

Probably not. We had an instance in which we had a brand new network card
from a company called Pine or something like that (yeah, I never heard of
them either) and we wasted quite a lot of time trying to get a workstation
using that card on the network. As soon as we replaced the card with a well
known brand, it worked.

I have had a very good experience with Kingston. They are easy to setup and
use and are relatively cheap (compared to 3COM and SMC for instance).

Reagrds,
Bhavesh.
--
Ambica Systems Engineering, Inc.
"Networking Beyond Limits"

Quote:> I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
> get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
> they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?

> Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card
instead?

> Thanks,
> Herman Lau

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Gary Gutha » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
>get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
>they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?
>Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card instead?
>Thanks,
>Herman Lau

I've been 'round the block' with the NE2000 clones.  Yeah.  They'll
work.  I had one that lasted a whole two weeks!!  Another -  Linux
wouldn't recognize (same make and model - of course).  Bite the bullet
Herman & invest in a 3Com509, 5x9, or a 59x (PCI).  Sure they cost
more but you get what you pay for :-)

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Gary Hest » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
>get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
>they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?
>Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card instead?

You will be better off with the PCI card instead of any ISA card.

However, you'll be *much* better off with a good busmastering PCI card,
like the SMC EtherPower, or any of the others using the Digital chip
that's on it, or one of the 3Com busmastering cards (3c59x and 3c9xx may
be the ones; I don't use any modern 3Com stuff).

It never fails to amaze me that people will spend a few thousand on
a hot processor, tons of memory, blazingly fast hard drives, state of
the art video, and then plug in a dumb ISA board (like an NE2000) for
networking.

It'll work, but if you want fast networking, go with an intelligent
ISA card (SMC Ultra or Elite, 3Com 3c509, etc.) at the least, and
a busmastering PCI card for best results. Well worth the extra $60
or so.

Gary

--

   The Chairman of the Board and the CFO speak for SCI. I'm neither.
The Sultan of Brunei "has four Gulfstream IVs, three Airbuses, two Boeing

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Andrus Siaw » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>It never fails to amaze me that people will spend a few thousand on
>a hot processor, tons of memory, blazingly fast hard drives, state of
>the art video, and then plug in a dumb ISA board (like an NE2000) for
>networking.

>Gary

>--

Maybe.. we just wanna play network game of Quake with two computers?

heh.

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Ron Jenkin » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
> get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
> they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?

> Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card instead?

> Thanks,
> Herman Lau

Dear Herman,

I think the cards you are referring to are ISA (16-bit) cards.  The PCI
(32bit) is always a better idea, as it runs off the PCI bus as opposed
to the limited ISA bus.  However, if you are just using the PC as a
client and not a server, the cheapo will probably be alright.  One other
thing to consider is whether the cheapo is truly NE2000 compatible.  If
not, you may have to force recognition of the card.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ron Jenkins

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by David Ree » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
> >get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
> >they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?

> >Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card instead?

> >Thanks,
> >Herman Lau

> I've been 'round the block' with the NE2000 clones.  Yeah.  They'll
> work.  I had one that lasted a whole two weeks!!  Another -  Linux
> wouldn't recognize (same make and model - of course).  Bite the bullet
> Herman & invest in a 3Com509, 5x9, or a 59x (PCI).  Sure they cost
> more but you get what you pay for :-)

I've used all sorts of cards.  I'm running a 10+ computer LAN here at
school, and the card of choice is generic because we can get the 16-bit
version usually for less than $20 and the 32-bit version for less than
$30.  We've found that which OS you run is a big factor in how fast the
file transfers we get.  We have a bunch of win95 computers, and a
handful of linux machines and one NT machine.  Comparing file transfer
times, we've gotten a max speed of 900k/s.  This was using Linux, and
two different generic ne2000 cards (one 32-bit, one 16-bit).  This
includes going through two generic hubs as well.  In win95 doing ftp
transfer, the best we got was like 700k/s.  Remember that the
theoretical fastest is about 1.1mb/s, so 900k/s isn't too bad!

The moral:no one here (~10-15 of us) use the cheapo cards daily and
haven't had any problems with them. (I actually bought a name brand one
once before, and that stopped working!)  Buy the cheapo card.

Dave

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Dan Ts' » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: >
: > I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
: > get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
: > they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?
: >
: > Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card instead?

: I think the cards you are referring to are ISA (16-bit) cards.  The PCI
: (32bit) is always a better idea, as it runs off the PCI bus as opposed
: to the limited ISA bus.  However, if you are just using the PC as a
: client and not a server, the cheapo will probably be alright.  One other
: thing to consider is whether the cheapo is truly NE2000 compatible.  If
: not, you may have to force recognition of the card.  Hope this helps.

        I got a cheap Allied Telesis NE2000 clone. I think it was $30.
Works fine.
        OTOH, you can probably find a used 3c509 for $30. Better would be
a used SMC/WD 8013.
        There is no real advantage to going to PCI for a 10Mhz Ethernet NIC.

--
                        Cheers,
                        Dan Ts'o                        212-327-7671

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Megavol » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>         There is no real advantage to going to PCI for a 10Mhz Ethernet NIC.

If you mean a 10MB/s Ethernet (I'm assuming here), you're really really
wrong... with only a few computers on a network PCI network cards make a
lot of difference... my experiences with the transfer rates of different
cards came out something like this:
50-90KB/s on a 8 bit card (the cards I had were a 3com 3c503 and a Racal
NI5210)
300-500KB/s on a 16 bit card (I've seen many different cards give these
results, some examples are a 3COM 3c505 (really old) Accton, D-Link, and
GVC)
800-1100KB/s on a 32bit PCI card (the only card I've seen this on is the
type of card I have based on the RealTek R8029 Chipset (I've got 4 of
these))

So as you can see a PCI network card is worth it if you are interested
in high transfer rates on your network.  Given, if you're only going to
use it for Quake... anything will do (except yer 28.8) :)

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Ian Pens » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> I was wondering, is a cheap NE2000 card worth it?  I know that you can
>> get them for $25 or less.  Do they have a decent speed on 10Base-T?  If
>> they do, which brands are reasonably reliable?

>> Would it be better for me to get say, a $40 Kingston EtherX PCI card
>instead?

I have put together a network W95/WFWG using cheap (20UKP) NE2000
cards and have had NO problems.

Check out my network article about my experiences with the network

http://homepages.enterprise.net/ianpenson/index.htm

Cheers

Ian P
-----------------------------------
http://homepages.enterprise.net/ianpenson/index.htm
for useful Audio and Psion software.
-----------------------------------

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Shane Ke » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I've been 'round the block' with the NE2000 clones.  Yeah.  They'll
>work.  I had one that lasted a whole two weeks!!  Another -  Linux
>wouldn't recognize (same make and model - of course).  Bite the bullet
>Herman & invest in a 3Com509, 5x9, or a 59x (PCI).  Sure they cost
>more but you get what you pay for :-)

I've had good luck with ultra-cheap NE2000 clones.  I have 3 computers at home
on a coaxial network and have not had any problems.  Admittedly, I'm not
exactly pumping gigabytes of news around every week, but I assume if anyone is
considering a NE2000 clone they're not going to be setting up a real server.
One caveat:  these cards tend to have "jumperless" configuration, which means
you have to have a DOS boot floppy around to configure the damn things.  Ick.

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by janku » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

10 MHz Ethernet maxes out at a theoretical 10 Mbit/sec throughput.  Not
clear to me how is a 32-bit PCI interface going to improve PC-to-PC
throughput.  You appear to suggest that PCI-based 10MHz Ethernet NIC
transfer rates are achievable up to "1100KB/s" (I assume "B"=bits).  That
is 10% above the theoretical limit!  Would you please elaborate on how
this is possible?  Or are we talking apples and oranges?  Please advise.
Thanks.
--
After the charm wears off, only character remains.

Post by Bob Nelso » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I've had good luck with ultra-cheap NE2000 clones.  I have 3 computers at home
> on a coaxial network and have not had any problems.  Admittedly, I'm not
> exactly pumping gigabytes of news around every week, but I assume if anyone is
> considering a NE2000 clone they're not going to be setting up a real server.
> One caveat:  these cards tend to have "jumperless" configuration, which means
> you have to have a DOS boot floppy around to configure the damn things.  Ick.

I'm using an ultra-check NE2000 clone (or trying to use same). On a
Pentium 200/PCI, I'm getting this message: "Tx timed out, lost interrupt?
TSR=0x1, ISR=0x2, t=<incrementing_numbers>."

The card is recognized just fine...and I've tried various IRQs. The
address is 0x300. When I pull the coax off the card, the amber "jabber"
LED is lit as expected.

Ideas?

                     UNIX...anything else is just a toy

Cheap NE2000 clone worth it?

Post by Megavol » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> 10 MHz Ethernet maxes out at a theoretical 10 Mbit/sec throughput.  Not
> clear to me how is a 32-bit PCI interface going to improve PC-to-PC
> throughput.  You appear to suggest that PCI-based 10MHz Ethernet NIC
> transfer rates are achievable up to "1100KB/s" (I assume "B"=bits).  That
> is 10% above the theoretical limit!  Would you please elaborate on how
> this is possible?  Or are we talking apples and oranges?  Please advise.
> Thanks.

Well... let's look at this mathematically... 10Mbit/s... that's 10240000
bits/s right?? or 10000000 bits/s... I really don't know how it works
with bits... but let's take 10000000 bit/s just to be safe... 10000000
bits/s turns into 1250000 bytes/s when you divide by 8bits per byte...
now I know that's right... which then translates into 1220.703125
KiloBytes/s (1024 bytes to a kilobyte.) now that's around 1200KB/s...
now how is  1100KB/s 10% higher than 1200KB/s??? and in the case that
it's 10240000 bits in 10Mbits... that's 1250KB/s...

1. Cheap NE2000 clones?

Get an Addtron card.  The ISA's run $20 -25 and work with no problems
under Linux kernel 2.0.27 (probably works with older as well), '95,
and NT 4.0 all on the same machine (all recognize it).  It's what most
of us in SILUG (http://www.silug.org) are using.

2. patch-kernel script usage help

3. Cheap ethernet card introductory offer [NE2000 clone]

4. Slackware 1.1.0 fixed my lpr/lpd problems

5. Cheap NE2000 clone problems???

6. Need memory analysis tools

7. problems with cheap NE2000 clone...

8. Any problems with this setup running Linux?

9. Are cheap routers worth it?

10. Solaris 2.4 x86 w/ 133 MHz, Dual Proc., cheap clone

11. Looking for Cheap/Free PC-NFS Client Clone for PC's.

12. Cheap NE-2000 clones..?

13. Mac Clones 4 ultra-CHEAP!!!!!!