Jumpstart Solaris from Linux

Post by Jerome Smit » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all

I have been trying for a week or so to get Solaris to jumpstart from
a Linux (SuSE 6.2) box.

I can get the rarp, tftp, and bootparams to supply the initial (ufsboot)
kernel, but I seem to get stuck because the linux kernel doesnt honour
ICMP " address mask request ". It was talken out of icmp.c in 2.2 for
seurity reasons :-(

The last entry I see in the tcpdump is :

3:52:15.826291 Solbox > linuxbox : icmp: address mask request
(DF)

And there everything grinds to a halt....

Anybody completly booted a Solaris OS from a Linux boot/install server?

Regards to all
Jerome

1. MrZammler - jumpstart solaris via Linux boot server

Emmanuel, sorry to post to you directly but you seem to have solved a
problem I have been working on for some time.
I can get solaris to boot and read all relevant bootparams info and I
have gotten to the stage of the solaris system trying to read the nfs
root from the linux server. At this point it fails, it seems to be an
incompatablility with the linux nfs. In your last post on this topic
you mentioned that you had successfully jumpstarted solaris from a
linux server.
If possible can you advise on the nfs compatablility and how you
solved this last piece of the puzzle?

Thanks for your time

Brett Stevens

2. eth0: can't fill rx buffer (force 1)!

3. Jumpstart solaris 10 b69 and solaris 10 b72 on an Ultra 30

4. Make Emacs behave friendly

5. upgrade solaris 9 -> solaris 10 with jumpstart: insufficient space

6. help: mounting floppy

7. Jumpstart Question: Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 2.4

8. Help Dropping ICMP

9. Jumpstart for Solaris 2.5.1 versus Solaris 2.6, 2.7, 2.8

10. Netra T1, Solaris 2.6 & 2.8, Jumpstart from Solaris 2.7

11. Jumpstart Solaris 8 vs. Solaris 10 (sparc)

12. Solaris jumpstart on x86/Linux

13. Problem using linux as jumpstart server for solaris 2.6 clients