Email POP relay

Post by Lee Hank » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:57:56

My family currently access all our email from a machine in the living
room. It is sorted into folders according to who it is to by Outlook
Express. I thought it would be nice if we could access our mail from
our own computers (without all switching to new separate email
accounts).

I am considering setting up a linux box on my home network to collect
email from 2 or more external POP accounts on request and then serve
it to POP or IMAP clients on the network.

The machines on the network I am envisaging will have local IP
addresses assigned by the DHCP serving wired+wireless router (attached
to my broadband cable modem), such as 192.168.0.x and will be running
various operating systems.

My first question is what combination of software can accomplish the
task of immediately getting mail from various sources and serving it,
whenever a client email program makes a connection.

My second, more troublesome, question is how can I specify an internet
address to the mail clients that will resolve to whatever dynamically
assigned IP address my 'mail-hub' happens to have.

Please let me know if I am thinking in entirely the wrong direction,
or if what I am suggesting is possible.

Email POP relay

Post by manu » Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:56:59

Configure your router to give static ip  to the machine that you are
going to use as mail-hub. That's easy in most of the routers. Since
this ip address is given by your router, it is not dictated by your
ISP.

Then you can install imap/pop daemon on this machine and some mail
client (Mozilla Thunderbird is a good choice) on the clients to
retrieve mails from the mail-hub.
manu
----------------
Manu Garg
http://manugarg.freezope.org

Email POP relay

Post by James Knot » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:28:21

> My first question is what combination of software can accomplish the
> task of immediately getting mail from various sources and serving it,
> whenever a client email program makes a connection.

You can use fetchmail, to get the mail from your ISP.  Your choice of IMAP
servers.

Quote:> My second, more troublesome, question is how can I specify an internet
> address to the mail clients that will resolve to whatever dynamically
> assigned IP address my 'mail-hub' happens to have.

Why not just give that box a static IP?

1. POP Authentication to prevent email relaying

I've just implemented Neil Harkins' POP Authentication on three
machines. I had a heck of a time on the first one, but it works very,
very, VERY well. I feel this is becoming the only resonable choice to
prevent relaying.

I administer several domains and it had become a very serious
problem. We had a such a growing list of okay-to-relay domains that
anti-relaying rules were becoming useless. We tried removing them all,
but the result were quite a few unhappy customers who had valid
reasons to access their email from outside our system.

I just put up a web page with step by step instructions. Hopefully
this will help everyone a bit.

http://www.tech-net.net/technical/

Rick Morel
* * * * * * * * * * * * **** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*   Rick Morel                   *   #   #  #   ###    ###   *
*   Morel Research, Ltd.         *   # #    #  #      #      *
*   New Iberia, LA               *   #      #    #     #     *
*                                *   # #    #      #     #   *
* http://www.morelr.com          *   #   #  #   ###   ###    *
*                                *                           *

*                                *   Keep It Simple Stupid!  *
* * * * * * * * * * **** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2. mach 32, 16bpp, 1024x768 interlaced help

3. Urgent: How to configure to prevent third party e-mail relaying

4. ISDN modprobe failure ...

5. "Relaying denied"? when smtp emails

6. Good-looking fonts for KDE 3

7. MMDF problems relaying email via the internet

8. a Tale of Two OSs

9. Postfix - Having problems relaying email

10. How to allow e-mail relaying?

11. relay email

12. Urgent: How to configure sendmail to deny e-mail relay

13. Email relaying not allowed, what to do?