Do I install Kernel 2.0 or wait for 2.2

Post by Joe » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am looking to install Linux on a machine.  I figure using Red Hat or
Cardera etc. would be easier than doing it on my own.  Should I wait for ver
2.2?  If so when do you think it will be available by the distributors/

Doing it without the distributor packages sounds interesting.  I have no
experience in Linux.
Thank for your advice.

--
Joseph Norcott
Business Technologies Of New England, Inc.

www.btne.com

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

 >I am looking to install Linux on a machine.  I figure using Red Hat or
 >Cardera etc. would be easier than doing it on my own.  Should I wait for ver
 >2.2?  If so when do you think it will be available by the distributors/
 >
 >Doing it without the distributor packages sounds interesting.  I have no
 >experience in Linux.

Unless you have a specific requirement that only the 2.2 kernel
will satisfy, there's no need to rush into 2.2.  I suggest you
get a good modern distribution and get used to Linux.  If you
want, you can follow the instructions at the Redhat site and
compile yourself a 2.2 kernel.  Not a big deal, you'll have
to upgrade a bunch of packages, but they're all readily available.
Again, unless you really need a new functionality, you're not likely
to notice any difference with a new kernel.

Bob T.

Do I install Kernel 2.0 or wait for 2.2

Post by Raymond Doetje » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Making the 2.2 kernel is no problem downloading it on the other hand
taked a bit since the sources are 12MB.

You really should'nt wait for a distribution with the 2.2.x kernel in
it. Just doewnload it untar it to the /usr/src directory and setup a
symbolic link from taht points from /usr/src/linux to
/usr/src/linux-2.2.2 (depending on the dir name).
Or just rename the directory to linux (not advicable). And then make the
new kernel.

Raymond