pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

Post by Mark Worsdal » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Setup as follows:-

win98 box with an internal modem and scheduling software that
automatically logs onto the internet, to collect mail/news.

linux box (2.2.12 RH5.2) with demand dialing pppd, with external modem.

Both modems use the same phoneline

Problem:-

The win98 dials and connects fine but only manages to get 2 or 3 emails
before the linux box decides to connect and throws the win98 (Now cheers
for linux, I'm sure it was not built into pppd to do this whenever a
win98 machine accesses the phoneline) machine of the internet/phoneline.

Now is this the modem discovering the line is active...? No surely not
Is it stray TCP/IP packets activating pppd?

I need to stop this until I have figured out how I can get my mail/news
package to pass through the linux modem via either a firewall or IP
masquerading. It needs to access post.demon.co.uk or pop3.demon.co.uk,
ntp.demon.co.uk & news.demon.co.uk through the linux box.

M.

--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

Web site Monitoring:-             http://www.shadow.org.uk/SiteSight/

pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

Post by Mark Worsdal » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>Setup as follows:-

>win98 box with an internal modem and scheduling software that
>automatically logs onto the internet, to collect mail/news.

>linux box (2.2.12 RH5.2) with demand dialing pppd, with external modem.

>Both modems use the same phoneline

>Problem:-

>The win98 dials and connects fine but only manages to get 2 or 3 emails
>before the linux box decides to connect and throws the win98 (Now cheers
>for linux, I'm sure it was not built into pppd to do this whenever a
>win98 machine accesses the phoneline) machine of the internet/phoneline.

>Now is this the modem discovering the line is active...? No surely not
>Is it stray TCP/IP packets activating pppd?

>I need to stop this until I have figured out how I can get my mail/news
>package to pass through the linux modem via either a firewall or IP
>masquerading. It needs to access post.demon.co.uk or pop3.demon.co.uk,
>ntp.demon.co.uk & news.demon.co.uk through the linux box.

Bodged it... In the linux box I entered into the crontab set times when
to ifconfig down eth0 and then to bring it back up when 5 minutes has
passed.

Turns out that since the linuc box is my dns for my intranet, it was
trying to resolve the above address's and quite rightly it was login on
the internet to do it.

Any better solutions?

--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

Web site Monitoring:-             http://www.shadow.org.uk/SiteSight/

pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Both modems use the same phoneline
>Problem:-
>The win98 dials and connects fine but only manages to get 2 or 3 emails
>before the linux box decides to connect and throws the win98 (Now cheers
>for linux, I'm sure it was not built into pppd to do this whenever a
>win98 machine accesses the phoneline) machine of the internet/phoneline.
>Now is this the modem discovering the line is active...? No surely not
>Is it stray TCP/IP packets activating pppd?

I suspect strongly that you have mgetty running on the linux box. It
listens to the line, and on "activity" will often answer the phone.
(modems sometimes cannot tell the diff between ring and other noise.)

Otherwise I suspect that it has nothing to with linux, but rather is
your modem, which is set to answer the phone after n rings.
(eg unplug the serial line from teh modem after linux has initialised it
and see if it still picks up the phone line-- then it is the modem for
sure.)

pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

Post by Qaaa CMAIL-exch1 » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>Setup as follows:-

>win98 box with an internal modem and scheduling software that
>automatically logs onto the internet, to collect mail/news.

>linux box (2.2.12 RH5.2) with demand dialing pppd, with external modem.

>Both modems use the same phoneline

>Problem:-

>The win98 dials and connects fine but only manages to get 2 or 3 emails
>before the linux box decides to connect and throws the win98 (Now
cheers
>for linux, I'm sure it was not built into pppd to do this whenever a
>win98 machine accesses the phoneline) machine of the
internet/phoneline.

>Now is this the modem discovering the line is active...? No surely not
>Is it stray TCP/IP packets activating pppd?

>I need to stop this until I have figured out how I can get my mail/news
>package to pass through the linux modem via either a firewall or IP
>masquerading. It needs to access post.demon.co.uk or pop3.demon.co.uk,
>ntp.demon.co.uk & news.demon.co.uk through the linux box.

Bodged it... In the linux box I entered into the crontab set times when
to ifconfig down eth0 and then to bring it back up when 5 minutes has
passed.

Turns out that since the linuc box is my dns for my intranet, it was
trying to resolve the above address's and quite rightly it was login on
the internet to do it.

Any better solutions?

--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

Web site Monitoring:-             http://www.shadow.org.uk/SiteSight/

1. 1 * kaBayoadH-pppd keeps connecting when another modem connects

[...]

2. NFS And WinNT / Win98???

3. Help: PPPD Connects; Reboot; PPPD doesn′t connect?

4. irq dma and device address

5. Run script after pppd is connected (REALLY connected)?

6. BadAtom error of acroread

7. Connect via LAN vs. Connect via modem headache

8. Red Hat 7.1: Unistalling Software

9. 3com Office Connect LAN Modem::trouble connecting

10. Keeping two Linux boxes connected by modem up

11. pppd connect then modem drops carrier, scipt shows

12. modem connect speed in pppd

13. pppd with no modem "CONNECT" response