PPP connects but I don't get out anywhere

PPP connects but I don't get out anywhere

Post by Jim Orfanako » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to setup PPP on my RedHat 5.1 system.  The system dials,
connects, and stays connected.  IFCONFIG PPP0 shows my ip address from my
ISP.

I have configured my /etc/reslove.conf and ROUTE shows my routes that I hard
coded with my subnet and gateway....but still no luck.  I cannot ping, surf,
etc.

Any ideas?

 Jim Orfanakos

 http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/djo3

PPP connects but I don't get out anywhere

Post by David Kirkpatric » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Verify:
1       ping 127.0.0.1
2       ping 10.220.10.118
3       ping boston.com

If you can't ping 1 then tcp broke. Unlikely
Cant do #2 - submit route, ifconfig
Do 1 2 not 3.  Resolve.conf not setup correctly to ISP
nameservers.
You mention subnet - do you have more than one machine and where
are
you pinging from?
Does the last line in route have default with gateway your isp
and
iface ppp0?   If not then your default is configured.  Nuke it in
Crontrol pannel, network configuration, Route.  Erase the default
routes.

--

Post by Clifford Ki » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I am trying to setup PPP on my RedHat 5.1 system.  The system dials,
: connects, and stays connected.  IFCONFIG PPP0 shows my ip address from my
: ISP.

: I have configured my /etc/reslove.conf and ROUTE shows my routes that I hard
: coded with my subnet and gateway....but still no luck.  I cannot ping, surf,
: etc.                     ^^^^^^^

In order to get past the ISP server pppd must be able to configure a
default route through the server IP.  If you already have a default
route configured, then pppd won't replace it with one for ppp0 even
with the pppd option defaultroute.  You don't need a default route to
a local network unless you need to connect through the LAN to another LAN
using a host running gated or routed.  A network route will do routing to
the LAN, the form is

/sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} eth0

: Any ideas?

Remove the default route to the LAN and configure a network route.

--

/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife. */

PPP connects but I don't get out anywhere

Post by David Effland » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

regarding PPP connects but I don't get out anywhere:

> I am trying to setup PPP on my RedHat 5.1 system.  The system dials,
> connects, and stays connected.  IFCONFIG PPP0 shows my ip address from
my
> ISP.
> I have configured my /etc/reslove.conf and ROUTE shows my routes that
I hard
> coded with my subnet and gateway....but still no luck.  I cannot ping,
surf,
> etc.
> Any ideas?
>  ------------------------------------------------------
>  Jim Orfanakos

>  http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/djo3
>  ------------------------------------------------------

If you are just running a single machine, pppd uses defaultroute and
can ping the outside world by IP, it sounds like you just have a DNS
problem.  Make sure you are not running named, routed or gated unless
properly configured and you know what they do.  If you cannot spell
resolv.conf, I wonder if it has a typo in it.  On a standalone machine
you should not have to set any routing.

If you are trying to connect a LAN to the internet, you need to set up
IP Masquerade or a proxy and either point machines on the LAN to your
ISP's DNS or to your own properly configured DNS (named).  You also
should use -net routing for your LAN and delete any default route
other than the defaultroute option for pppd.

I manipulate resolve config, ipfwadm rules and ip-forward from
/etc/ip-up.local and ip-down.local, since I use the same modem for
dialin and dialout.  When I am offline, resolv.conf simply contains
the word 'search' (w/o quotes).  We have no DNS on our LAN (remote
mainframe and smtp/squid servers are accessed across frame relay by
IP).

PPP connects but I don't get out anywhere

Post by Darren Gre » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Could you post your /etc/ppp/options file please....then we might be
able to help you a little better.

DrGreer

-->I am trying to setup PPP on my RedHat 5.1 system.  The system dials,
-->connects, and stays connected.  IFCONFIG PPP0 shows my ip address from my
-->ISP.
-->
--> ------------------------------------------------------
--> Jim Orfanakos

--> http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/djo3
--> ------------------------------------------------------
-->
-->

1. PPP connects OK, can't go anywhere (help!)

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to Linux, and am using 1.2.13.  I have set up PPP, modem, etc.,
and can successfully connect to my ISP using pppd/chat.  Once connected, I can
ping another IP address with no problems.  However, I cannot FTP or TELNET
anywhere!!!  For example, if I try:

ftp ftp.linux.org

I get:      ftp:  ftp.linux.org:  Unknown server error

Anyone have any ideas what I've missed or forgotten?  Below are some clips
from "ifconfig" and "route" commands I used after connecting:

(from "ifconfig"):
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:2000  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-Point Protocol
          inet addr:206.63.10.19  P-t-P:198.137.231.1   Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

(from "route -n"):
Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags MSS    Window Use Iface
198.137.231.1   *               255.255.255.255 UH    1436   0        0 ppp0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     1936   0      180 lo
default         198.137.231.1   *               UG    1436   0        0 ppp0

Please, if you can help, let me know what to try next...  Post here and/or by
direct email.  Thank you!

---
NOTICE - My email address has been altered to avoid
unwanted mail. Please remove the "spamfree" when replying.

2. v.35 to t1 csu/dsu very basic question

3. PPP - Can connect but can't go anywhere

4. Which dir to specify when installing RH5 under FTP?

5. Apache 1.3.9 time outs don't work on SPARC Solaris

6. configuring wu-ftpd-2.4 server in 2.4

7. PPP don't gets right IP-Adress

8. Problems with the xil runtime library

9. Help!PPP Connects, but Ping/Telnet don't work?

10. Connected but can't go anywhere!!

11. PPP can connect but couldn't connect to internet

12. PPP connected to host but still can't connect to internet!

13. MOST NORMAL PPP EVER, can't surf anywhere??