proftpd GroupOwner directive

Post by Jonatha » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:26:17

Hi, I have a problem with proftpd. I would like every uploaded file on my
system to be groupowned by nobody. After a search on the proftpd site I
discovered the GroupOwner directive which should be placed inside
<Directory> or <Anonymous>. So I added it to a <Directory> in my
proftpd.conf and restarted xinetd but when I upload files the groupownership
is not changed to nobody. What am I doing wrong? Below is my proftpd.conf.

Thanks!

Jonathan

------

ServerName                      "FTP Server"
ServerType                      inetd

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port                            21

# Global creates a "global" configuration that is shared by the
# main server and all virtualhosts.

<Global>
  # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
  # from being group and world writable.
  Umask                         007
</Global>

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User                            root # ftp
Group                           root # ftp

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
# to 30.  If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
# at once, simply increase this value.  Note that this ONLY works
# in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
# that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
# (such as xinetd)
MaxInstances                    30

# Maximum seconds a data connection may "stall"
TimeoutStalled                  300

MaxClients                      25
MaxLoginAttempts                1

# DeferWelcome prevents proftpd from displaying the servername
# until a client has authenticated.
DeferWelcome                    off

DefaultChdir                    ~
DefaultRoot                     ~
<Directory /*>
  AllowOverwrite                on
  GroupOwner                    nobody
</Directory>

proftpd GroupOwner directive

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 04:52:09

Jonathan wrote at Thursday 13 September 2001 09:26 like only he can:

Quote:> Hi, I have a problem with proftpd. I would like every uploaded file
> on my system to be groupowned by nobody. After a search on the
> proftpd site I discovered the GroupOwner directive which should be
> placed inside <Directory> or <Anonymous>. So I added it to a
> <Directory> in my proftpd.conf and restarted xinetd but when I
> upload files the groupownership is not changed to nobody. What am I
> doing wrong? Below is my proftpd.conf.
> Thanks!

> Jonathan
> ServerName                      "FTP Server"
> ServerType                      inetd

> # Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
> Port                            21

> # Global creates a "global" configuration that is shared by the
> # main server and all virtualhosts.

> <Global>
>   # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
>   # from being group and world writable.
>   Umask                         007
> </Global>

There is no umask 007, you probably mean 002.

Quote:> # Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
> User                            root # ftp
> Group                           root # ftp

You shouldn't run as root, just start the ftpd as root, to allow to
bind to low ports.

[SNIP]

Quote:> DefaultChdir                    ~
> DefaultRoot                     ~
> <Directory /*>
>   AllowOverwrite                on
>   GroupOwner                    nobody
> </Directory>

Are those users belonging to the nobody group? proftpd will only
reflect the OS/fs situation on the system. (Don't use nobody, create
an own group for this purpose)
Check, for more info:

usr/share/doc/packages/proftpd/

Michael Heiming

1. ProFTPD Anonymous directive?

I am a little confused.  What exactly is the purpose of the "Anonymous"
directive?  I can specify a username and a password be required inside
an anonymous directive, so this doesn't seem very anonymous to me.  If
I don't use the "Anonymous" directive at all, what is the alternative?
The ProFTPD documentation is very unclear on this matter.  Thanks for
your help.

-Vincent

2. FS: LAPTOP 100Mhz Pentium

3. ProFtpd : Override <Limit> directive for a subdirectory

4. HELP !!! : How to Read Multicast Ethernet Packets

5. proftpd and the UserOwner directive?

6. Parallel zip doesn't work with SMP

7. Disable/undo directives in deeper config scopes, here: Action directive

8. Question:mini-UNIX guide for e-mails on the net???

9. ProFTP and GroupOwner

10. ProFTPd

11. proftpd mkdir and upload problems

12. Undoing a ForceType directive