mounting remote drives w/ samba - how?

Post by Borries Demel » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

I noticed in the version 1.3.x kernel versions the support for samba
filesystems. I can't find any information on how to how to mount a
remote drive (say a shared drive from a WfWg host) under Linux, using samba.

The best i can find is information on how to tar-archive a remote drive
or to use smbclient on it. I would like to mount a drive similar to a
nfs mount. Is this possible?

Thanks for any information.

1. Trouble mounting remote samba shares via autofs

Hello!

I posted last week about trying to mount remote samba shares (on a
WinXP box) via entries in fstab.

I managed to get it to work (somewhat), but I've been told by our
resident RHCE that mounting them via autofs would be the way to go.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work!

Here is my auto.master file:

# $Id: auto.master,v 1.2 1997/10/06 21:52:03 hpa Exp $
# Sample auto.master file
# Format of this file:
# mountpoint map options
# For details of the format look at autofs(8).
#/misc  /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=60
/mnt   /etc/auto.mydocs --timeout=120

...  and here is my auto.mydocs file:

#mydocs -fstype=smbfs,user=matei,password=MYPASSWORD,
://duron/mydocs

I've tried adding workgroup=myworkgroup as well.  I've also tried
specifiying a credentials file as well, but with no results.  I've run
chmod 600 on the auto.mydocs file in case I put in my password - so no
one save root can read it.

Whenever I uncomment the above entries, nothing gets mounted in my
/mnt directory - not even the cd-rom, floppy etc specified in my fstab
file.  The /mnt directory is empty!  The /mnt/mydocs directory doesn't
even get created.

Is there something that I'm missing here?

Thanks,

2. What is your ATA66 HDD speed?

3. Backing Up remote drive with SAMBA

4. HTTP Proxy source code

5. mounting a remote cd drive

6. Wireless Dial-Up Network

7. Having trouble mounting remote drives

8. read/write of socket, threading

9. Samba: connecting (mounting) to WinNT drives?

10. Mounting a remote tape drive

11. samba and mounting a network drive

12. Can samba automatically mount an NT shared drive?

13. mount a remote drive