How to setup FTP with proper file permissions ?

How to setup FTP with proper file permissions ?

Post by nfa » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to set up basically 2 groups of accounts regular ones for
friends and an ADMIN type of group for me so I can delete/create directories
and manage files remotely from an FTP client.
- Also is the a way to change ownership of the files UL'd so that I am the
owner not the people who UL'd them ?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

How to setup FTP with proper file permissions ?

Post by Martijn Heemel » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to set up basically 2 groups of accounts regular ones for
> friends and an ADMIN type of group for me so I can delete/create
directories
> and manage files remotely from an FTP client.
> - Also is the a way to change ownership of the files UL'd so that I am the
> owner not the people who UL'd them ?

I only have an answer to your second question:
You need to set the ftp dir SUID i think
I don't know how exactly but you can first chown the dir ('chown
ftpadmin.ftp /home/ftp' or similar)
and then set the permissions in the dir with 'chmod something' so every file
created will take the user id of the dir's owner (SetUID(SUID))
check out the man:chmod for the precise syntax...

Greets, Martijn

1. Proper permissions in FTP folders?

I set up a vsFTPd and I have it running in a chroot jail, /home/ftp.  The
permissions on this folder (ftp) are 777.

Inside the root folder are two other folders, 'downloads' and 'incoming'.

My user's home are /home/ftp and they are members of the group FTP.

Right now, they can log in to the root, but when they attempt to change to
the download or incoming folder, they get the message '550 Failed to change
directory'

How can I set up the permissions so they can download from the download
folder, but they can't create or delete files or folders here?

In the upload folder, I would like them to be able to create files and
folders, but not delete them (unless they are the owner).

In the root, they shouldn't be able to create files or folders, only
traverse to the 'download' and 'incoming' folder.

Root would have full access.

Thanks

2. single bit memory errors

3. FTP script that sets proper permissions

4. any prrbs installing RH 7.1on a scsi HD?

5. Proper permissions for Inn files ??

6. undelete files with debugfs or mc

7. What is the proper ownership, group and permission for the files under /var/named?

8. help required in video conferencing (fwd)

9. Logrotate issue - won't create files with proper permissions

10. file permissions & group membership when uploading files via FTP

11. Setting default file permissions on ftp'd files.

12. default file permissions for ftp'd files

13. AIX 4.3.2 - Setting file permissions of an ftp'd file???