2 PCI Ethernet or 1 PCI + 1 ISA Ethernet?

2 PCI Ethernet or 1 PCI + 1 ISA Ethernet?

Post by Kelvin Leu » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I got a cable modem connected to my Pentium 90MHz
appletalk/samba/file/print server. It's pretty fast for serving two
clients at home. But the motherboard has only 3 PCI slots and they all are
occupied by 1 MGA display card, 2 PCI ethernet cards. One ethernet card
serves the local network and the other is connected to the cable modem.

Now I'm going to install my new SCSI tape drive and I got a PCI SCSI-2
card... No more slot for it. Should I get a ISA ethernet card for the
cable modem or should I get a ISA SCSI card? My concern is the
speed/performance of the network once I drop a ISA ethernet card into the
system. 'cos I heard that ISA card demands more from the CPU than PCI
interface. What do you think?

Kelvin

2 PCI Ethernet or 1 PCI + 1 ISA Ethernet?

Post by Laurent Martell » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Well, if I were you, I'd have an ISA card for your cable modem, since
yo won't use the maximum throughput of it with you cable modem. Here
in France, I have a maximum of 2Mb/s. And since ethernet can give you
up to 10Mb/s, I'd say it's a good trade off. And you'l probably want
to have the maximum from your SCSI interface, so you'd better put it
on PCI.

    Kelvin> Hello, I got a cable modem connected to my Pentium 90MHz
    Kelvin> appletalk/samba/file/print server. It's pretty fast for
    Kelvin> serving two clients at home. But the motherboard has only
    Kelvin> 3 PCI slots and they all are occupied by 1 MGA display
    Kelvin> card, 2 PCI ethernet cards. One ethernet card serves the
    Kelvin> local network and the other is connected to the cable
    Kelvin> modem.

    Kelvin> Now I'm going to install my new SCSI tape drive and I got
    Kelvin> a PCI SCSI-2 card... No more slot for it. Should I get a
    Kelvin> ISA ethernet card for the cable modem or should I get a
    Kelvin> ISA SCSI card? My concern is the speed/performance of the
    Kelvin> network once I drop a ISA ethernet card into the
    Kelvin> system. 'cos I heard that ISA card demands more from the
    Kelvin> CPU than PCI interface. What do you think?

    Kelvin> Kelvin

Post by Mike Chi » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I got a cable modem connected to my Pentium 90MHz
>appletalk/samba/file/print server. It's pretty fast for serving two
>clients at home. But the motherboard has only 3 PCI slots and they all are
>occupied by 1 MGA display card, 2 PCI ethernet cards. One ethernet card
>serves the local network and the other is connected to the cable modem.

>Now I'm going to install my new SCSI tape drive and I got a PCI SCSI-2
>card... No more slot for it. Should I get a ISA ethernet card for the
>cable modem or should I get a ISA SCSI card? My concern is the
>speed/performance of the network once I drop a ISA ethernet card into the
>system. 'cos I heard that ISA card demands more from the CPU than PCI
>interface. What do you think?

Assuming not much display activity on your server, moving the video card to
ISA might be the best choice, followed by ISA Ethernet for the cable modem
and ISA SCSI a very unattractive choice.