How would I put my registered-domain-name into effect?

Post by David Coo » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 14:07:48

How would I put my registered-domain-name into effect?

  Ok, so let's assume I've got my home PC on a cable-modem service,
such as Comcast or MediaOne.  And, I've got an Apache web-server
running on it.  But, since I haven't yet paid the $30 or whatever
to get myself a registered 'domain-name', my machine has
an IP-address and an IP-name that the cable-modem service
assigned me, such as:

     24.1.2.3
     <unique-hex-hardward-addr>.ne.mediaone.net>

  It works just fine.  If I tell all my friends to browse
my web-server named '<unique-hex-hardward-addr>.ne.mediaone.net>',
it works just fine for them.

  Ok, so now the question:  If I pay the $30 and get a nice
user-friendly name assigned that I own, how do I make it known
to the Internet?

  More specifically, let's say I get a name registered and
assigned to me like "DavesDomain.name".  So, must/should I
contact my ISP, and ask them to put an 'alias' for 24.1.2.3
into their DNS server, such as 'DavesMachine.DavesDomain.name'?
(If so, do they typically charge me to do that?)

TIA...

                    Dave

Post by Bob Tennen » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:10:05

 >   If I pay the $30 and get a nice
 > user-friendly name assigned that I own, how do I make it known
 > to the Internet?
 >
 >   More specifically, let's say I get a name registered and
 > assigned to me like "DavesDomain.name".  So, must/should I
 > contact my ISP, and ask them to put an 'alias' for 24.1.2.3
 > into their DNS server, such as 'DavesMachine.DavesDomain.name'?
 > (If so, do they typically charge me to do that?)

Almost certainly. An alternative is to use the free domain-pointer service
offered by, for example, www.dns2go.com. When you register your domain name,
give the following hosting information:

  Deerfield Communications Inc. (the parent of dns2go)
  4241 Old U.S. 27 South
  Gaylord, MI 49735

  name servers:
    ns1.dns2go.com (63.64.164.8)
    ns2.dns2go.com (63.149.6.93)

When this information has been properly registered you can go to
www.dns2go.com/Signup and have them re-direct http requests for your domain to
the web-site host. Both static (fixed) and dynamic (dhcp) IP addresses can be
handled.  No charge.

Bob T.

How would I put my registered-domain-name into effect?

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:58:24

Hi!,

Quote:

> How would I put my registered-domain-name into effect?
>   ------------------------------------------------------

>   Ok, so let's assume I've got my home PC on a cable-modem service,
> such as Comcast or MediaOne.  And, I've got an Apache web-server
> running on it.  But, since I haven't yet paid the $30 or whatever
> to get myself a registered 'domain-name', my machine has
> an IP-address and an IP-name that the cable-modem service
> assigned me, such as:

>      24.1.2.3
>      <unique-hex-hardward-addr>.ne.mediaone.net>

>   It works just fine.  If I tell all my friends to browse
> my web-server named '<unique-hex-hardward-addr>.ne.mediaone.net>',
> it works just fine for them.

>   Ok, so now the question:  If I pay the $30 and get a nice
> user-friendly name assigned that I own, how do I make it known
> to the Internet?

The question to ask back is whether or not the IP address you get back from
them is actually a fixed IP address or does it change ?

If it changes, then you will have to go to somewhere like dns2go or some other
dynamic DNS server (ddns.org?).  However, if the address is fixed, when you
register the name, the company where you registered it, might provide you with
the opportunity to have them provide the DNS service for you.  In that case it
will just be a matter of putting the IP address and the name into their server
(something that many companies provide).

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Q: Does named requires a static IP and a registered domain name?

Does named requires a static IP and a registered domain name?

If it is not, can I use dynamic IP with a registered domain name?

Sounds like a very stupid question.  But, since masquerade is working,
why not the name server, which will save some DNS entry looking time.

I made run named.  However, when I run "nslookup", it gives me:

sunhost1:/# nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent
host/domain
Default Server:  hendrix.aa.net
Address:  204.157.220.4

Scheme is like this:
1) I have one channel ISDN which soon to be 2 channels.
2) PPP connection w/ a dynamic IP assigned
3) Have set up masquerade.
4) Like to my domain name which I will have soon.
5) I need name server for the domain.
6) Also, likt to setup email server the local lan that connects to
Internet.

Thanks.

Namsuk Kim

2. C99 Initialisers for drivers/video

3. Where to register for a domain name with ".us"?

4. Reading file size from C

5. Newbie - Registered my domain name, what to do next?

6. Q: runlevel 5 problem. Also Aftersetp 1.0 Question.

7. registering a domain name

8. Best Cigars

9. Registering a domain name

10. multiple registered domain name, one IP

11. Where can I get my domain name registered for free

12. Where to register for domain name which ends with ".us"?

13. registering for a .us type domain name