Autofs automount samba and confused

Post by Martin Hog » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:31:11

I seem to be very confused over how to get a Win98 share mounted via
autofs. I have been through many sources of information, and have even
resorted to looking at the source code on automount.

I have used mount in the past, but having suffered "device busy"
problems as a result of the Win98 machine going off-line and then
on-line, I am looking for a more robust solution. Treating the machine
as removable media seemed to be appropriate.

I am using Samba 2.2.2 and autofs 3.1.3 Linux kernal 2.2.5 (RedHat)

According to the autofs code, there is a module mount_smbfs.so which
should exist in the /usr/lib/autofs. This was not compiled on my
system. I did find one person on the www advocating that this was the
module to use, however, I would have expected this to have been
referenced much more unless there was a better more elegant solution.
Anyway, I hacked the config files and made it compile. No success in
mounting however.

I have seen documentation that seems to be suggesting that smbmount is
the thing to use with autofs, by renaming it to mount.smbfs (or
similar) and placing it in /bin.  Based on my understanding of the
autofs documentation and code I don't see how this can be.

I also see reference somtimes to -fstype=smbfs and others -fstype=smb

I assume that things have been changing over the years. Looking at
posts on various groups, I do not beleive I am the only person to be
suffering from confusion.

If someone could shed some light on all this and point me in the right
direction I would be very grateful.

Regards, Martin Hogg

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 01:40:56

> I have seen documentation that seems to be suggesting that smbmount is the
> thing to use with autofs, by renaming it to mount.smbfs (or similar) and
> placing it in /bin.  Based on my understanding of the autofs documentation
> and code I don't see how this can be.

> I also see reference somtimes to -fstype=smbfs and others -fstype=smb

> I assume that things have been changing over the years. Looking at posts on
> various groups, I do not beleive I am the only person to be suffering from
> confusion.

The line you want is something like the following.

windows -fstype=smbfs ://machine/share

smbmount was the orignal smbfs mounting program, mount now has the knowledge
to do it as well.   You may have to look at the autofs build options if it
has no idea of how to deal with smbfs but I think it should be fine.

karl.

1. BUG?: bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.7 breaks automount/autofs

While doing a fresh install of AIX 4.3.2 on an 43P (332MHz 604e) with
the latest set of available patches from fixdist we noticed that the
automounter (ie. AutoFS) fails to mount directories sometimes.

Since /usr/sbin/automount belongs to bos.net.nfs.client and we don't
have any problems with a machine that has bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.5
installed we believe that the problem is in the latest available version
of bos.net.nfs.client which is 4.3.2.7 ...

Specifically, 4.3.2.6 has problems mounting SunOS4-boxes and in 4.3.2.7
we are having random problems mounting Solaris2.6 and other OS's...

Are there others out there that have this problem (there should be ... ;)

Is it a reported bug (I know there should be some fancy www-based
search-thingie somewhere ;) or not ??

/Nikke - who doesn't like patches that breaks things...

 Save gold...it has VALUE, not a printed price

2. Free ISP For Linux?

3. Q: Setting off automount, automountd, autofs

4. AIX Manual

5. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

6. advanced ipmasqadm debugging

7. Terminating Automount (autofs)

8. Looking for a good motherboard

9. autofs/automount doesnt work

10. autofs vs. Solaris automount configuration file format

11. autofs automount REDHAT6

12. autofs, automount, and mount options

13. Autofs/Automount on RedHat Linux Kernal 2.4.20-8 (Release 9) on i686