Linux Local Server Guide

Post by Mark Robert » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/maroberts/linux/guide/index.html
is the location of  a guide on how to configure a Linux box as a general
purpose server for a small network of machines [which I am in the
process of putting together]

The guide covers setup of a small server with dial-up access to your
ISP, and optional connection to a small number of machines on a local
network LAN.
It covers setting up the following features:

Dial On Demand PPP Connection [with/ without diald]
DNS server setup
Masquerading
Proxy Service
News server setup (INN or Leafnode)
Mail server setup (sendmail)

The guide is primarily aimed at RH Linux 5.2 but aims to cover setting
up using common tools/ low level file editing and should thus be
applicable to all versions of Linux and some of the other versions of
UNIX. I do not intend to cover any subject in great depth but aim to
work on a 'this is what you need to know and do to get going' basis.

The current version of this document is more than a little basic and
incomplete, but if you require information on how to setup any of the
above you might just want to look. The document will be updated &
improved over the following weeks so please feel free to revisit.

On the other side of things contributions and suggestions are also
welcome. I'd particularly welcome any contributions from any sendmail
[also POP and IMAP] experts out there - I'm currently wading through the
O'Reilly Sendmail book and wishing I hadn't started!

Is there anyone out there who has configured sendmail to:
a)      masquerade as their ISP when sending non-local mail
        or relayed non-local mail to the SMTP port of their ISP server,
b)      obtain mail from the mailbox(es) of their ISP to place into the mail
of
        local users
c)      Configured use of IMAP (UW &/or Cyrus) on such a system

If you have I'd welcome copies of any sendmail.cf/m4 files and other
related configuration files [suitably sanitised].

Linux Local Server Guide

Post by Hoeteck We » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/maroberts/linux/guide/index.html
> is the location of  a guide on how to configure a Linux box as a general
> purpose server for a small network of machines [which I am in the
> process of putting together]

> On the other side of things contributions and suggestions are also
> welcome. I'd particularly welcome any contributions from any sendmail
> [also POP and IMAP] experts out there - I'm currently wading through the
> O'Reilly Sendmail book and wishing I hadn't started!

> Is there anyone out there who has configured sendmail to:
> a)      masquerade as their ISP when sending non-local mail
>         or relayed non-local mail to the SMTP port of their ISP server,
> b)      obtain mail from the mailbox(es) of their ISP to place into the mail
> of
>         local users
> c)      Configured use of IMAP (UW &/or Cyrus) on such a system

> If you have I'd welcome copies of any sendmail.cf/m4 files and other
> related configuration files [suitably sanitised].

You might like to check out
http://www.letterbox.com/home/hoeteck/kgr/n0vix/ then, which I'm afraid
is hosted on a very slow server though. The page outlines the
fundamental ideas behind setting up a Linux Server at home on a PPP, as
well as some configuration information for mail (sendmail, fetchmail) as
well as web (Apache).

For IMAP, it's pretty straight-forward; nothing unusual. Just install
the IMAP RPM from Redhat that'd run a IMAP server.

cheers,
hoeteck

P.S.: would appreciate acknowledgements if you're going to add anything
from the n0vix site to your documentation.

1. FTP to local Linux 7 server failed while Linux server is connecting to the Internet

Hi,
I have set up a local network at home with only 2 computers(no hub).
One is running on Linux 7 as the internet gateway, and the other is
running on Win98. When the Linux server is not connecting to the
internet through Rogers cable. I can telnet and ftp to my Linux server
from Win98 and there is no problem at all.
But when the Linux is connectin to the internet, I cannot ftp to my
Linux server. There is no error message and it seems to be idle for a
while and disconnected because of timeout. However, the telnet to
Linux is still working and the web browsing and web ftp are working
fine on Win98. So I got very confused.
I only use local IP address to try the ftp, since I didn't setup DNS
on my Linux. Also, I use the rc.firewall file on my Linux server to do
the IP forwarding.

Any help will be very appreciate.

Thanks.
Wilson

2. Please help with .htaccess problem

4. USB memory mounting using vold

5. Linux Setup Guide and System administration guide.

6. Restrict to IP _or_ user+password

7. Expert Guide: A Text Mode Norton Guide Reader For Linux

8. checking

9. Expert Guide - Norton Guide Reader For Linux

10. Named local Server -- how to stay local

11. looking for local guide(s)

12. Project : Linux Internet Server Admin Guide

13. Linux Dialin Server Setup Guide