Can I add multiple Domain.Names to one Name server.

Can I add multiple Domain.Names to one Name server.

Post by Mike Mik » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

We are trying to put up multiple domains on our Linux DNS.
We have the wtech.com & class C to go with it.
Is there a way to add a second or third Domain Name and yet still use
the same IP address?  (We've already registered the names with the
NIC.)

If it can be done what might my name files look like?

Thx in Advance.
=mCm=

Can I add multiple Domain.Names to one Name server.

Post by Craig Shrimpt » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>We are trying to put up multiple domains on our Linux DNS.
>We have the wtech.com & class C to go with it.
>Is there a way to add a second or third Domain Name and yet still use
>the same IP address?  (We've already registered the names with the
>NIC.)

>If it can be done what might my name files look like?

>Thx in Advance.
>=mCm=

If what you are trying to do is virtual domains, the answer is yes.
The only caveat is that each domain must have its own IP address.
What you do is to map those multiple IPs to a single interface.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is have the same machine
answer to different names, you could set up the host files for the
other systems using the same IP addresses.  I have not tried this
myself so I'm not sure how it would work.

If what you are doing is virtual domains, let me know and I'll send
some liturature.

-Craig

Shrimpton Consulting                         Orbit Systems

17 Monroe Avenue                             Phone:  (508) 753-8776
Worcester, MA 01602                          http://www.os.com/

1. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

I want to add another domain name to the search order but whn I tried
either the service doesn't start properly or from Windows the DNS
Suffix search order isn't displayed and or set properly. Example
scenario.

I first set the dhcpd.conf settings for the multiple names.
option domain-name "linux.net linux.org";

Then from Windows PC I run ipconfig /all
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : linux.net linux.org

Then I run a ping command
C:\> ping www
Ping request could not find host www. Please check the name and try
again.

As you can it didn't work. However, if the option is set to
"linux.net" only, then the ping of www works. BTW, www is mapped to
the IP address of the DNS server from within the /var/named zone file.
When I ping the FQDN of www.linux.net everything works.

C:\>ping www.linux.net

Pinging linux.linux.org [192.168.0.202] with 32 bytes of data:

2. Do I need more static ram for > 16 Mbyte?

3. Multiple domain names--->different pages on one server?

4. WYSE terminal w/ Linux

5. Can one Domain Name Server be used for 2 domains ??

6. Windows-NT 4.0 RAS PPP incompatabilities with PPPD2.2.0f

7. Help needed with NameD and multiple Domain names.

8. Vexing client server bug

9. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

10. Hosting multiple named domains with one IP address?

11. multiple registered domain name, one IP

12. Multiple Domain Names on One Machine

13. One linux box, multiple domain names ?