FTP Server w/out using system account

FTP Server w/out using system account

Post by -- » Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:37:15



Hi!

I'm looking for a FTP server which user need no system account in accessing
it,
instead, the FTP server is self-contained a user authenitcation and file
permission
system without depends on the system level fs security.

If I could not explain it to you clearly, think about the case of MySQL
where
user and permission is seperated from Linux user account and fs security.

It is better if the server could support SFTP as well.

A SFTP only solutions is also welcomed.

 
 
 

FTP Server w/out using system account

Post by Andrey Asadche » Sun, 18 Apr 2004 01:22:17



> Hi!

> I'm looking for a FTP server which user need no system account in accessing
> it,
> instead, the FTP server is self-contained a user authenitcation and file
> permission
> system without depends on the system level fs security.

> If I could not explain it to you clearly, think about the case of MySQL
> where
> user and permission is seperated from Linux user account and fs security.

> It is better if the server could support SFTP as well.

> A SFTP only solutions is also welcomed.

You are looking for somethign called virtual users.
Proftpd - proftpd.org
pure-ftpd - http://www.pureftpd.org/

sftp is a part of ssh distribution.  It is not a regular ftp client/servrer.
Do you mean TLS or SSL? Both proftpd and pure-ftpd support it.

 
 
 

FTP Server w/out using system account

Post by -- » Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:35:28


Thanks,
Pureftpd look great, but could I set up different file permission for
different virtual user?

Say there vusera and vuserb

Both of their home directory is /home/vuserhome

Could I set vusera is writable to the directory, but not vuserb?




> > Hi!

> > I'm looking for a FTP server which user need no system account in
accessing
> > it,
> > instead, the FTP server is self-contained a user authenitcation and file
> > permission
> > system without depends on the system level fs security.

> > If I could not explain it to you clearly, think about the case of MySQL
> > where
> > user and permission is seperated from Linux user account and fs
security.

> > It is better if the server could support SFTP as well.

> > A SFTP only solutions is also welcomed.

> You are looking for somethign called virtual users.
> Proftpd - proftpd.org
> pure-ftpd - http://www.pureftpd.org/

> sftp is a part of ssh distribution.  It is not a regular ftp
client/servrer.
> Do you mean TLS or SSL? Both proftpd and pure-ftpd support it.

 
 
 

FTP Server w/out using system account

Post by Antoine EMERI » Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:03:13




Quote:> I'm looking for a FTP server which user need no system account in
> accessing it,
> instead, the FTP server is self-contained a user authenitcation and
> file permission
> system without depends on the system level fs security.

> If I could not explain it to you clearly, think about the case of
> MySQL where
> user and permission is seperated from Linux user account and fs
> security.

proftpd-mysql :-) !

This is a proftpd where accounts can be check in the system and in a Mysql
database. You can even block the system account.

Using the private directory visibility you may fully separate the ftp
serveur view according to the account in the Mysql database.

And if you add an apache+php web service on you server you could define
your accounts online.

Regards

 
 
 

FTP Server w/out using system account

Post by Juha Laih » Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:07:56



Quote:>Pureftpd look great, but could I set up different file permission for
>different virtual user?

>Say there vusera and vuserb

>Both of their home directory is /home/vuserhome

>Could I set vusera is writable to the directory, but not vuserb?

I don't have experience with pureftpd, but I recall that this was
rather straightforward with proftpd.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

         PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5 !X R !tv b+ !DI D G e+ h---- r+++ y++++
"...cancel my subscription to the resurrection!" (Jim Morrison)
 
 
 

1. ftp server using chroot without anonymous account

Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to set up ftp accounts like the  
anonymous account only using a specific users account.  I'm trying to
get the same functionality that anonymous provides without using the
anonymous name. i.e. using chroot so that I can set up an alternate
directory that the user cannot cd backup into the OS.  This is needed
this way for security reasons.  Also I don't want just anybody logging
in.  I'm running Solaris 2.5.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lenny

2. does Purify work on Linux

3. ftp only accounts using anon ftp help please....

4. Blurry text under X (XConfig?)

5. Testing (please ignore)

6. Easy way to identify system created account or account for system services

7. Problems with Compress

8. ? Any studies that show which Unix servers and operating systems handle the most server accounts ?

9. FTP account without passwd (not an anonymous account)

10. Real account with FTP guest account

11. Question: How to set up an ftp account without giving it a telnet account