Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

Post by Raul Ortego » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi ya'll:
        I plan to get a LAN adapter to put in my computer to play games
(under Win95, yuch) but since I do most of my computing (except for some
games) under OS/2, I will not buy an adapter that is not compatible with OS/2
and Linux (I just started Linux in case IBM finally drops the ball).  I have
a NCR 53C810 SCSI adapter that I like because it was cheap and compatible
with every OS.  I would like a similar NIC.
   So, will someone recommend a PCI adapter that is compatible with OS/2 and
Linux (Ethernet, probably twisted pair, but maybe combo twisted pair/coax).
     Thank you in advance.

Raul Ortegon

"Are thoughts real?  NO, we just think they are."

Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

Post by nate dutr » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi ya'll:
>    I plan to get a LAN adapter to put in my computer to play games
> (under Win95, yuch) but since I do most of my computing (except for some
> games) under OS/2, I will not buy an adapter that is not compatible with
OS/2
> and Linux (I just started Linux in case IBM finally drops the ball).  I
have
> a NCR 53C810 SCSI adapter that I like because it was cheap and compatible
> with every OS.  I would like a similar NIC.
>    So, will someone recommend a PCI adapter that is compatible with OS/2
and
> Linux (Ethernet, probably twisted pair, but maybe combo twisted
pair/coax).
>      Thank you in advance.

A NE2000 clone will work, but why get cheap?  People spend tons of money on
ultra fast hard disks, video cards, memory but they always seem to want to
get cheap in the NIC department :-)  For PCI cards I've personally gotten
an Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B to work, but I had to download the driver
from the nasa site.  Probably a good 3COM or SMC will be cool.  If nothing
else do a "make config" and see what cards it prompts you if you have.

later.

--

I do not speak for Epic Systems Corporation...man!

Post by Trever Adam » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi ya'll:
>         I plan to get a LAN adapter to put in my computer to play games
> (under Win95, yuch) but since I do most of my computing (except for some
> games) under OS/2, I will not buy an adapter that is not compatible with OS/2
> and Linux (I just started Linux in case IBM finally drops the ball).  I have
> a NCR 53C810 SCSI adapter that I like because it was cheap and compatible
> with every OS.  I would like a similar NIC.

Not sure about OS/2.  But if you have a Fry's in the area go get a Netgear
FA310TX (10/100TX card based on  the DEC "Tulip" chipset).  It works great for me
in 95 and Linux (I use the Tulip driver that Donald Becker wrote).

Right now the Fry's in my area sells the FA310TX for 39.95 and I have seen mail
order for 29.95.  US $ of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trever Adams

http://rampages.onramp.net/~arabian/silent.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good."
        ~C.S. Lewis

Pursuant to USC 47, there is a $500 per incident charge for each
and every piece of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE) sent to this or
any of my other addresses.  Sending UCE's to any of my addresses
implies general acceptance of these terms.

Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

Post by Josh Fishm » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 21 Jan 98 23:17:42 -0600, Raul Ortegon

Quote:>Hi ya'll:
>    I plan to get a LAN adapter to put in my computer to play games
>(under Win95, yuch) but since I do most of my computing (except for some
>games) under OS/2, I will not buy an adapter that is not compatible with OS/2
>and Linux (I just started Linux in case IBM finally drops the ball).  I have
>a NCR 53C810 SCSI adapter that I like because it was cheap and compatible
>with every OS.  I would like a similar NIC.
>   So, will someone recommend a PCI adapter that is compatible with OS/2 and
>Linux (Ethernet, probably twisted pair, but maybe combo twisted pair/coax).
>     Thank you in advance.

Kensington KNE100TX EtheRx -- it's a DEC `tulip' based card, which means
really low chip count. They go for $60-40. Reliable, good Linux drivers,
and they come with disks for every OS from DOS to NT to OS/2 (tested and
it's fast) to MacOS (!). They're cheaper than many 10baseT cards, but go
up to 100baseT. However, like all 10/100 cards, it is twisted pair only.

  -- Josh Fishman

Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

Post by Christian Aschebe » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I use a NE2000 card with software 2.0 - no PnP on 4 PCs.
I don't know whether You can still get the card. It was cheap and is
fast. - I am at our company faster on network with OS/2 than our
NT-Server 8-)

:>
:>Hi ya'll:
:>   I plan to get a LAN adapter to put in my computer to play games
:>(under Win95, yuch) but since I do most of my computing (except for some
:>games) under OS/2, I will not buy an adapter that is not compatible with OS/2
:>and Linux (I just started Linux in case IBM finally drops the ball).  I have
:>a NCR 53C810 SCSI adapter that I like because it was cheap and compatible
:>with every OS.  I would like a similar NIC.
:>   So, will someone recommend a PCI adapter that is compatible with OS/2 and
:>Linux (Ethernet, probably twisted pair, but maybe combo twisted pair/coax).
:>     Thank you in advance.
:>
:>Raul Ortegon

:>"Are thoughts real?  NO, we just think they are."
:>
:>

Christian Ascheberg

Will someone please recommend a good, cheap LAN adapter?

Post by Brice D. Fleckenstei » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I use a NE2000 card with software 2.0 - no PnP on 4 PCs.
> I don't know whether You can still get the card.

 If you are talking a "real" NE2000 as markeded by Novell/Eagle, the
answer is no.
 Eagle was bought out by Microdyne a while back, and Microdyne shut that
division down and sold off all assetts last year "because they couldn't
compete".

 BTW, Microdyne was my most recent employer - the information above is
from their Annual Report for '97.

--
 The alt.callahans news server is now at 209.100.145.29
 The new net connection *should* be more reliable, but

 "It takes as much courage to try and fail, as it does to try and
succeed." - Anne Lindburg
 My opinions are my own, and no others. Please email me copies of any