Mandrake 10.1 ; apache 2.0.48 ; URL not showing in address bar

Mandrake 10.1 ; apache 2.0.48 ; URL not showing in address bar

Post by czep.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:25:28

I tried this yesterday, but was making up names and IP for the sake of
trying to remain slightly anon. But it wasn't working. So here is my
dilema...

Running a webserver on my linux box, and connected to the internet via
a comcast cable modem. Whenever I browse to a webpage hosted on my
server, the ip address is shown instead of the http://www.czepp.net/

Here is some info on my setup...
czepp.net is registered with godaddy.com

Quote:>nslookup www.czepp.net

Server:  ns.inflow.pa.bo.comcast.net
Address:  68.87.167.196

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   czepp.net
Address: 64.202.167.129
Aliases: www.czepp.net

My cable modem is hooked into a Linksys router. Checking the info on
the router shows that the I address assigned to it from the cable modem
is

LAN
IP: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: disabled

WAN
IP: 69.141.168.42
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 69.171.168.1
DNS: 68.87.64.196
     68.87.66.196

The IP address of my linux box is
192.168.2.102 and I have all port 80 traffic being forwarded to that
IP.

On godaddy.com, i have
traffic for czepp.net to be forwarded to http://69.141.168.42/

And now for some detailed info about the linux box..
Mandrake 10.1
Apache 2.0.48

Quote:>hostname

www.czepp.net

Quote:>cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.2.102   www.czepp.net   www

Quote:>cat /etc/resolv.conf

search   czepp.net
nameserver 68.87.64.196
nameserver 68.87.66.196

Quote:>grep hosts nsswitch.conf

hosts:     files nisplus nis dns

and from httpd.conf
--------------

Listen 80

ServerName www.czepp.net

UseCanonicalName On

HostnameLookups Off

All the VirtualHost stuff is commented out

This is all the info that i could think to post that might be relative.
Anyone have any idea on how i can this to work?? Thanks again

Mandrake 10.1 ; apache 2.0.48 ; URL not showing in address bar

Post by paulywal » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:04:12

Quote:> Here is some info on my setup...
> czepp.net is registered with godaddy.com

So, godaddy is hosting your domain

Quote:> On godaddy.com, i have
> traffic for czepp.net to be forwarded to http://69.141.168.42/

Right here you tell godaddy that you want traffic for czepp.net
forwarded to a different IP address (69.141.168.42)

Quote:> Anyone have any idea on how i can this to work?? Thanks again

You need a DNS A record for czepp.net pointing at 69.141.168.42. If your
cable internet is DHCP, like most consumer cable internet, you will need
some provision for updating this A record when your IP number changes.

I have a similar situation, but I have a registered domain that is
updated through DynDns.org. Their DNS servers point directly to my IP
address. Maybe godaddy has someway to do this?

--

Mandrake 10.1 ; apache 2.0.48 ; URL not showing in address bar

Post by czep.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:48:31

that got it!!!

Thanks!!

1. apache not showing name in address bar

I am running mandrake 10.1 and apache 2.0.48

The computer (192.168.2.100) is connected to a netgear router
(192.168.1.1) and the netgear router is forwarding all port 80 requests
to 192.168.2.100. All of this is connected to the internet with a
comcast cable modem.

Here is my problem....

I have a registered domain name through godaddy.com 'chuckdomain.net'
and it is set up to point www.chuckdomain.net to my cable modems ip
address. From outside of my network, if i type in www.chuckdomain.net
into the address bar, I am forwarded to my webpage, but the address bar
shows the IP address instead of www.chuckdomain.net.

I dont know if I have something missconfigured, or if comcast is
somehow blocking this...

Here are some of my settings..

/etc/hosts
------------
127.0.0.1     localhost
192.168.1.100   www.chuckdomain.net   www

/etc/resolv.conf
----------------
search chuckdomain.net
nameserver (comcast nameserver ip 1)
nameserver (comcast nameserver ip 2)

/etc/nsswitch.conf
----------------
hosts   files nisplus nis dns

httpd.conf
-----------
Servername www.chuckdomain.net:80
UseCanonicalName Off
(all the virtualhost stuff is commented out)

Any ideas????

Thanks

2. asppp problem

3. New Install Mandrake 10.1 "Does not find Host"

4. how to assign multiple IP addresses to a NIC.

5. Mandrake 10.1 and Raid1 +sata

6. Free web site and instant down line!

7. Mandrake 10.1 - boot hangs with new USB printer

8. Need Advice: News Server

9. Wacom Graphire 4 and Mandrake 10.1 -- very close!

10. Help: Mandrake 10.1 routing problem?

11. Mandrake 10.1 on a Toshiba P20-QR7 laptop

12. USB Keyboard doesn't work under Mandrake 10.1

13. Mandrake Linux 10.1 and that *%%$%& mouse