replacing the nt box - newbie seeks Howtos and advice

replacing the nt box - newbie seeks Howtos and advice

Post by John Lan » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Dump NT run linux! Actualy I haven't had this much fun since my first 128K
PC. Windows has made me lazy!  Linux simply makes my brain hurt, or maybe I
need to check my reading glasses.

I have a dsl connection to the Internet that is feeding a NT box runnig
proxy 2.0.  My other 3 machines are running 98 and several will continue to
do so. I would like to find a secure way to share the dsl line, supply email
like exchange, local storage for the 98 boxes and of course the same for
Red Hat Linux workstations.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions about proxy vs Masquerade? Should users
pull mail directly or should I run a mail server for local storage? Can I
use an old 386 as a firewall and do i need to? What about all the little
internet toys like MP3, Realaudio and Icq? Samba for file access? I would
love to build a "free" solution to what NT is now doing for me.

By the way Red Hat Linux 5.2 was a cake walk to install on my Toshiba
4015cds laptop.
Thanks
John

Post by Rick Onania » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I guess I'm looking for suggestions about proxy vs Masquerade? Should users
> pull mail directly or should I run a mail server for local storage? Can I
> use an old 386 as a firewall and do i need to? What about all the little
> internet toys like MP3, Realaudio and Icq? Samba for file access? I would
> love to build a "free" solution to what NT is now doing for me.

I will answer these questions out of order.

1. Use the 386 - check http://www.linuxrouter.org/
2. I prefer Masqerade - proxies are a little overkill for security, I think.
3. Mail will require another box if you use lrp on a 386...let them get it
directly. :)
4. Samba is good.. Supposedly makes your linux FS appear as a windows box's hard
drive, on the other windows boxen.
5. Realaudio has no problem with IP Masq if you load the module (I think it's a
module) for it. Do your users listen to streaming MP3 stations?  They can
download MP3s like any other download.  Streaming mp3 ought to work anyway, I'm
pretty sure it uses http. Icq will work, but I see a lot of posts with
difficulty.

  rick
(If the plural of ox is oxen, the plural of box must be boxen...)

Quote:> By the way Red Hat Linux 5.2 was a cake walk to install on my Toshiba
> 4015cds laptop.
> Thanks
> John

1. Newbie: wants advice on adding Linux to NT box

Hello!

I'd like to see what Linux can do for me, and maybe break the NT habit.
I've dabbled with already-installed Unix systems in the past, but never
installed one myself.  At this point, I'd just like to find out if
installing a Linux system will work for my equipment.

I have:

AMD K6/233 and 96MB RAM
WD Caviar 1.2 GB (C: drive -- will remain as NTFS NT drive)
Maxtor DiamondMax 3.2 GB  (currently a D: drive with NTFS, I plan on
devoting it to Linux.  Thus, only C: will be available to NT and the
Maxtor will be the Linux "boot" drive)
Number Nine 771 Motion video card (S3 Vision 968 based)
Generic CD-ROM (maybe 4x, maybe 16x...)
IOmega Zip drive
1.44 floppy
Internet access through ISDN adapter

Now, will any of this hardware cause me grief if I use a published Linux
such as RedHat or Caldera?

Will I be able to boot to NT or Linux with the software provided me, or
will I need to acquire something additional?

Do any of the published Linux distributions contain a word processor
like MS Word for Windows or their Wordpad?

Is there anything to choose between the various distributions of Linux
(such as Caldera, RedHat, etc.)?

Will I have any problems talking to my ISDN adapter?

Thanks for help,
Jerome.
--
Jerome Mrozak                     goose  -at-  mcs  -dot-  net
Sun Certified Java Developer & Programmer

2. Duplicated lines

3. Using a RAID box for innd news spools -- advice sought

4. driver location for platform-specific drivers

5. multi-booting Linux & '95 & NT - advice sought

6. ipv6 on RH 7.1

7. seeking advice using LILO and NT

8. Who will send me Linux Cds?

9. Newbie seeks advice?