Help:Linux Network Problems

Post by Clay Isaac » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have set up a Linux FW using RedHat 5.2, ipfwadm and squid. The machine
is a P166 with 96MB RAM and two Intel EtherPro 10/100 NIC's.

I noticed that performance is slow compared to our old setup of MS Proxy
Server 1.0 and Cisco firewall. I attached a sniffer to the line and noticed
many retransmissions and TTL exceeded packets. Way too many.  Does anyone
know of a NIC driver or kernel problem that may be causing this?  I really
would like to see Linux performa as well as or better than the big $
companies. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clay Isaacs

--
remove *NO_SPAM* before replying

Help:Linux Network Problems

Post by sk.. » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I've noticed a problem with icmplog on some systems going berserk and
flooding the network with packets. I don't know why.

Try killing it (without rebooting anything) and see if it helps your network
performance.

To find the Process ID number:
#ps auxww

To kill icmplog:
#kill 174
(where 174 is the Process ID number)

If that helps, comment it out of the file:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iplog
so it doesn't start up on reboot.

--Jon Johnson
Sutinen Consulting

> Hello,
> I have set up a Linux FW using RedHat 5.2, ipfwadm and squid. The machine
> is a P166 with 96MB RAM and two Intel EtherPro 10/100 NIC's.
> I noticed that performance is slow compared to our old setup of MS Proxy
> Server 1.0 and Cisco firewall. I attached a sniffer to the line and noticed
> many retransmissions and TTL exceeded packets. Way too many.  Does anyone
> know of a NIC driver or kernel problem that may be causing this?  I really
> would like to see Linux performa as well as or better than the big $
> companies. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Clay Isaacs

> --
> remove *NO_SPAM* before replying

--

1. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

I have made an attempt to instal linux on my 486dx2 66 & 1.8 Gb Harddisk & 20 Mb ram memmory
& Nec 5fge monitor & viper 2 MB vram graphic board.

I have read LINUX SCSI HOWTO and LINUX INSTALLATION HOWTO in both papers I could not find a solution.
I am new in the LINUX area and I don't have a clue what to do, so I ask the real prof's if they can help me out.

There is more information available if needed, please contact me.

1st I could go through the startup procedure, system hangs telling me
the following:

Partitiotion check:

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to allocate_device().

2th with dos fdisk I created on my second partition space for linux,
that is I changed the last logical drive for free space.

Under DOS I had 2 partitions 1 DOS and 1 EXTENDED :
DOS Partition 1 logical drive 102 MB, named C:
Extended Partition 10 logical drives 102 MB, named D: until M:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 600 MB, named N:

After the change:
Extended Partition 11th logical drive 350 MB N:
Extended Partition about 250 MB free for LINUX

3th I started the instalation procedure again and now the system was
able to go beyond the error that acured in 1st.

4th I used linux fdisk to create sd16 swapdisk and sd17 linux native
disk and I wrote the information in the partition table and rebooted (stupid
idea I think now).

5th The computer or the installation reacts as in the 1st situation.

6th I tried dos fdisk to correct the problem but dos fdisk can't acces
the partition information anymore.

additional information:

Adaptec AHA-1542 CF BIOS v2.01 SCSI CARD

some information read from the screen while installing LINUX:

LILO

Welcome to slackware linux 2.3.0 bootkernel disk!

etc.

boot:           (enter to continue)

etc.

SCSI : 1 host

        Vendor: QUATUM   Model: PD1800S    Rev: 3162
        Type: Direct Acces      Ansi SCSI Revision: 02
Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 4, lun 0
scsi Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda

Memory: etc. etc.

etc.

Checking 'hlt' instructions ok.

Partition Check :

sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda15 < 0 > Kernel panic : No device passed to
allocate_device().

After this the system hangs, I can use DOS drives c: until n:, I cannot use DOS FDISK.

I hope that I don't have to reformat my harddisk to solve the problem

Who can help me making DOS FDISK working again or to instal LINUX in the correct way ?

please HELP !!!

2. Module rewrite 3/20: init_module() changeover

3. Linux networking HELP, INTERNET HELP!!!! HELP!!!

4. Camino 2 (82815/82820) v2.4.x eth/sound related lockups

5. help ! SUN and linux, simple network -- networking newbie

6. DS20 Switch FDDI ->100Bt FAILED

7. NEED HELP !!!Network Problem for RedHAT Linux 4.2

8. Question on fips... vfat support?

9. Help! : Network problems with Red Hat Linux 5.1

10. HELP, networking problems in Linux !!!

11. Help - Linux network I/O problem w/dual PIII 600 processors

12. Help with Networking Problems - Linux RedHat 4.2

13. help with weird Win95 >> Linux RH5 networking problem