Linux and MS Proxy 2.0 running on NT

Post by Jack Suddard » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have been following this newsgroup for a while and have seen this topic
several times but really no definitive answer.  Everyone seems to reply with
"do this" or "do this" but none of the "this's" ever seem to be the whole
answer and collectively they still don't work.

Has anyone actually done this - used Microsoft Proxy Server as a gateway for
the Linux installation?  I've tried setting default gateway -I've tried
setting the proxy info in Netscape - I've tried changing permissions on the
proxy server - I've tried everything I've seen on here and it still doesn't
work.

Where can I go to get an answer?

Jack Suddards.
Linux newby - (please don't hold that against me - we all have to learn
SOMETIME - but I'm ready to give up on Linux.!!)

Linux and MS Proxy 2.0 running on NT

Post by Andrey Smirno » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You can't really use MS-Proxy machine as a gateway for Linux box, but you
can enable some services via proxy server.

If you only need web browsing, then simply make sure that MS-Proxy is setup
to accept anonymous authenication and point your Netscape browser to the
proxy IP address and port 80 (default).

If you want more then http service, than you need to work on configuring
MS-Proxy as a SOCKS proxy server (only in ver. 2.0!) and your machine as a
SOCKS client.

Here is a part of Proxy HOWTO, that applies to UNIX clients
(http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html):

8.3 Working With a Proxy Server
Unix
To have your applications work with the proxy server, they need to be
"sockified". You will need two different telnets, one for direct
communication, one for communication via the proxy server. SOCKS comes with
instructions on how to SOCKify a program, as well as a couple pre-SOCKified
programs. If you use the SOCKified version to go somewhere direct, SOCKS
will automatically switch over to the direct version for you. Because of
this, we want to rename all the programs on our protected network and
replace them with the SOCKified programs. "Finger" becomes "finger.orig",
"telnet" becomes "telnet.orig", etc. You must tell SOCKS about each of these
via the include/socks.h file.

Certain programs will handle routing and sockifying itself. Netscape is one
of these. You can use a proxy server under Netscape by entering the server's
address (192.168.2.1 in our case) in the SOCKs field under Proxies. Each
application will need at least a little messing with, regardless of how it
handles a proxy server.

Good luck!

Quote:> I have been following this newsgroup for a while and have seen this topic
> several times but really no definitive answer.  Everyone seems to reply
with
> "do this" or "do this" but none of the "this's" ever seem to be the whole
> answer and collectively they still don't work.

> Has anyone actually done this - used Microsoft Proxy Server as a gateway
for
> the Linux installation?  I've tried setting default gateway -I've tried
> setting the proxy info in Netscape - I've tried changing permissions on
the
> proxy server - I've tried everything I've seen on here and it still
doesn't
> work.

> Where can I go to get an answer?

> Jack Suddards.
> Linux newby - (please don't hold that against me - we all have to learn
> SOMETIME - but I'm ready to give up on Linux.!!)

1. Linux client with MS Proxy Server 2.0 on NT Server

Howdy,

I have just set up RedHat 6.0, and want to run it as my main operating
system.  On my local intranet I am running MS Proxy Server 2.0 on NT Server,
and in my current Win98 system I have the WSP (winsock proxy) Client
installed for all winsock requests (so it makes the internet seemless in
windows).  How do I access the proxy server in Linux?  Is no WSP Client
equivalent for linux?  Is there another way of setting up linux so it can
use the proxy server?  Otherwise i am restricted to the local intranet which
just ain't good enough... :-)  I know the obvious answer would be to replace
NT Server with linux, but I am trying to take linux one step at a time (i am
relatively new to it)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...  And may i just say, LINUX RULES
:-)

EvanD

2. Slow Browsing with FreeBSD 5-RELEASE & Samba 2.2.8a

3. Proxy Remote behind MS Proxy 2.0

4. Testing modem?

5. MS$ NT > Linux Firewall > Internet > MS$ NT PPTP Server

6. Fdisk doesn't see where partion ends.

7. MS Proxy and Linux 2.0

8. Need to download pkgs

9. Linux & MS Proxy server 2.0

10. linux working with ms proxy 2.0

11. Linux under MS Proxy 2.0

12. linux box on our net behind the MS Proxy 2.0 server

13. How to setup Linux behind MS Proxy 2.0